Style > Beauty

The Beauty Beat: This Fall, Beautiful Skin Is In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We all adore rosy cheeks from a day out in the brisk fall air, but that same cold, dry air can wreck havoc on our skin. Feeling like your skin is at its best is one key to feeling confident, so it is more important in these months than ever to take proper care of your skin! Let’s get started:

First of all, you want to make sure you follow a proper skincare regiment. Wash your face twice a day, but do not forget to moisturize. Consider switching to a thicker formula at night, as well. When it comes to your face wash, avoid anything harsh and exfoliate less often. As your skin is exposed to the harsher elements, it becomes more sensitive.

Second, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. We tend to drink less in the winter because our thirst is less prominent, but hydration remains very important. We are 75% water, so let’s keep it that way! Maybe consider talking to your roommate about getting a humidifier in the room, as well.

Now the fun part. Since you are taking very good care of your skin, why not give it a little help, too? Here are my make-up tips to maintaining a healthy glow.

1. Start with a primer. Primers not only lock your make-up in place, but they also help smooth out dry patches and help brighten your complexion.

2. Next apply your foundation (if you wear it) and add a highlighter. Liquid highlighter has the ability to give your skin a dewy look. Just blend some of it on top of your cheekbones with your fingers.

3. Don’t forget blush! Color in your cheeks not only is a sign of health, but it also gives you a happy glow.

4. LIGHTLY powder your face. Use a brush instead of the puff as to avoid a chalky look and only powder your T-Zone (a.k.a. forehead, nose, chin). Doing this allow some natural shine to work towards your benefit.

After you have applied any eye make-up that you desire, finish off your look with a tinted lip balm. Chap stick is so important right now. I usually am a big supporter of lip color in the form of a stain, but they dry out your lips big time. If you are going to wear a color, make sure to apply some chap stick before or after to seal in moisture.

Have a wonderful fall break!

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com