This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It just about that time of year again: finals time. Although we are looking forward to summer, sunshine and fun we first have to endure days of stress, and I don’t know about all of you, but my skin is the first thing that shows that I am stressed. Whether it’s a breakout, dark circles or stress-induced eczema, my skin just seems to give out. So today, I have compiled some tips to keep your skin glowing, vibrant and fresh…even when you don’t feel that way.

Don’t skip out on washing your face.

It’s 12:15 and you have just gotten back from Rolvaag after the “nerd alert,” and all you want to do is hop into bed and fall asleep. However, you must wash up. Dirt, grease and bacteria build up on your face throughout the day, and when you hit the pillow you are just letting it rub in. Take the 30 seconds it takes to scrub that visage. You will feel better going to sleep and when you wake up.

Moisturize.

I am guilty of this. Sometimes when I am in a hurry, I just throw some soap and water on my face and go, but dry and sometimes flakey skin is not comfortable and is a dead give away that you are feeling stressed out.

Drink a lot of water.

Your skin needs plenty of water to stay healthy, so try and get those eight glasses in a day. Not only does water keep your skin healthy by flushing out toxins, but it also keeps you energized, feeling full and hydrated!

Mind what you eat.

I know that nothing sounds better than pizza, fries, cookies and chips when you are struggling under the weight of tests and papers, but try to avoid binges on these items. They weigh you down and leave you feeling lethargic afterwards. They also can wreck havoc on your skin.  Instead reach for fruits like apples, oranges and bananas if you need a study snack.

Watch your coffee intake.

Although coffee seems like a godsend, caffeine actually dehydrates you, which can make skin appear sallow, and accentuate dark circles. Try sticking to one or two cups a day with plenty of water to make up for it.

Work out.

Working out gets your endorphins going, which makes you feel better, but it also gets blood flowing to your skin. This gives you that “post-workout glow,” and you look healthy and energized.

Sleep.

I know it is hard to do when you have so many other things on your mind, but sleep is the number one thing you can do to make yourself feel and look good. When you get in bed don’t mess around on your phone or laptop, just relax.

Hang in there, Oles. We are almost to the end!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.