Style > Beauty

Beauty Beat: Don’t Let Winter Ruin Your Luscious Locks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Every winter I fight the same battle – my hair loses its vibrancy, moisture and shine each day the air gets colder and drier. So what can be done? Luckily for you, there are many tried and true methods to keeping your hair soft and silky even when it’s freezing on campus!

Try one (or all!) of these tips for more manageable hair:

-Twice a week apply a hydrating mask to infuse moisture into your hair, which strengthens your locks.

-Use a heat-protectant product when blow-drying or using other hot tools to prevent your hair from being fried.

-Use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner every time you wash your hair.

-Mist a leave-in-conditioner from the middle of your strands through the ends after getting out of the shower.

-Apply a moisturizing product to your ends.

-Avoid picking those pesky split ends – if you notice a lot of split ends, head to a local hairdresser to have them snipped off! Your hair will look ten times healthier.

-Skip shampooing every other day! This sounds a bit weird, but shampoo strips your hair of natural oils and isn’t necessary every day. Give your hair a break!

If you have the opposite struggle and find yourself with oily roots, invest in dry shampoo. This is a godsend especially when you just don’t have enough time to wash your hair. Plus it can provide extra volume when your hair is falling flat!