Ask Miss Manitou: What’s the harm in tanning?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.
Question: Dear Miss Manitou, Every winter in high school I used to go to a tanning salon. I stopped freshman year of college because I know your risk of skin-cancer is heightened by the UVB rays of tanning-beds. Still, I’ve recently been having the urge to go again! How bad would it be, just one more time?

Answer: If only St. Olaf were transported to Miami or Phoenix! If only us Norwegians weren’t so pasty! If only tanning weren’t so bad for us! I am guilty of saying all these things. I am a part of the majority on this campus that was not blessed with the bronze color that people wish to attain; I am almost 100% Norwegian and my tan from the summer rapidly vanishes in the harsh Minnesota winter. If you’re like me, you feel prettier when you have a little color in your face. So, as you asked, what’s the harm in tanning?

It looks like you’ve already done the research, but yes, skin-cancer is a major concern when it comes to tanning beds. I want to encourage you to research a bit more into your family history as well. Is there anyone in your family who has had skin-cancer? If the answer is yes, I would suggest taking this as a personal warning. Genetics are real and some people are more apt to getting certain diseases and cancers. It’s just the way it is! There are steps to preventing skin-cancer from happening and not tanning is a great way to make those necessary steps.

Let’s say skin-cancer is not in your family. That doesn’t mean that you are good to go! If you make the decision to tan in a tanning bed here are a few tips:

1. PLEASE do not go more than once a week. That’s even pushing it. Maybe go every two weeks. Obviously the first time you go in, you aren’t going to be able to tell the difference and you’ll be tempted to go more than once. It’s not a safe way to go! You are over-exposing your skin to the UVB rays that you have been learning about. Just be patient and try to limit yourself on how many times you go.

2. Make sure you are wearing the right lotion. There have been a number of improvements in the lotions that you can wear while tanning indoors that limit the number of harmful rays that reach your skin. Even though it costs quite a bit of money to buy, don’t tan without them. There are a number of lotions that actually improve the amount of color that shows up on your skin, so it’s not just about safety. They can be cost efficient and prevent you from tanning as much in the future (refer back to number 1 to understand why this is important).

3. Understand why you want to do this. Do you feel pressured into the idea that being tan is somehow making you beautiful? Don’t let this industry fool you!  You are beautiful just the way you are. If you feel like tanning enhances your beauty, great! But don’t let yourself think, even for a second, that if you aren’t tan it means you aren’t beautiful.

If you are still confused as to what to do, Minnesota’s winter is almost over. Just hang in there! You’ll be able to run outside and get all the Vitamin D you need soon! Once the sun is out, don’t forget to wear your sunscreen though!
                                                                                                xoxo
                                                                                       Miss Manitou
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com