4 Elements of Style We Should Adopt from the Danes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey fashionistas!

I love fashion (as you probably figured-out). But more than simply style, I specifically love Danish style! I was fortunate to study abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark for a semester last year, and I was so inspired by their sense of style! Here are some tips for dressing like a Dane! 

Black on Black

Besides the colorful streets lined with greenery, flowers, and bright buildings, color is a rare sight on the streets of Copenhagen. For the most part, Danes keep to black monotone outfits for daily wear. When adopting this element of Danish style, try to vary the textures of your black outfit to add interest! Don’t worry about going over the top with black either – there is something classy, chic, and high-fashion about keeping an all-black look!  

Sneakers

Danes love their sneakers. Almost every 20-30 year old (and even older) on the streets had a pair of sneakers. Try New Balance, Nikes, or Adidas for a stylish pair. Danes choose to either wear basic black sneakers or have their tennis shoes be the only pop of color in their outfit. When adopting this element of Danish style, try pairing a pair of black jeans and denim jacket with black Nikes! Or be bold and style a basic black dress with a pair of tights and sneakers! You get the best of both worlds with this look – stylish and comfortable! 

Oversized Outerwear

On the streets of Copenhagen, Danes typically wear large coats in the colder months. It is typical for Danish women to wear a bigger coat with wide shoulders and wear streamlined bottoms, either skinny black pants or tights. Be sure to add an extra large scarf with this look! To try this look, find a coat you love, pair it with a bold scarf, and form-fitting pants! 

Comfy-Chic

Joggers are a large part of Danish fashion because Danes highly value comfort and practicality! Danes look so great with their joggers and basic tops paired with their New Balance tennis shoes. Joggers are extremely versatile, so you can dress them up or dress them down. To translate this look, pair your joggers with a form-fitting top or a oversized-tee half-tucked into the front of your pants! 

Bring a little bit of Danish style to your wardrobe! Be inspired by these ideas and give a few of them a try!

Stay fashionable, Oles!

oxox

Cover, Black on BlackSneakers, Oversized Coat, Comfy-Chic

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.