J Crew Fall 2013 Lookbook 04jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
J Crew Fall 2013 Lookbook 04jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Winter 2020-Spring 2021 Fashion Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Fashion operates like trickle-down economics. What major designer brands like Chanel, Prada, and Alexander McQueen call as “in” will typically dictate oncoming trends in much tamer forms. Don’t believe me? In 2018 and 2019, Vogue predicted the comeback of multiple accessories and styles we’ve seen in the past two years. Scrunchies (don’t forget about the VSCO girls of Summer ‘19)!), micro-purses, animal print, oversized tops, and even the recent Y2k trends were all seen in the shows of Fall Fashion Week both years. By looking at this year’s eclectic runway shows, we can hop on top of trends before they’ve even started. Keep an eye out for these looks, because they’re making a comeback.

Fringe – Runway vs. Retail

This fall, we saw tons of outfits with Western inspo; hats, leather, and most importantly, long fringe. This was everywhere, whether washed out or colorful and ranging from purses to dresses, to jackets. Expect to see more fringe jackets (and possibly jeans and skirts) in store windows this Winter and Spring. Due to the eclectic nature of the runway this year, I’d also speculate that a lot of these items are going to have splashes of color in them, so grab your favorite denim jacket and do a quick DIY over winter break if you want to be the first to wear this trend.

Velvet – Runway vs. Retail

This winter, velvet is coming back in a big way. The headliner of fashion week, DressedUndressed, brought the heat with a lot of lingerie x velvet looks, and many other designers followed suit and included some major velvet pieces in their items as well. Although the majority of these looks were very avant-garde (as all high fashion is), you can expect to see a somewhat diluted version of such outfits on shelves in 2021. My bet is a return as pants and dresses. Stock up!

Academia – Runway vs. Retail

Light academia is back again! This fall, designers like Givenchy, Gucci, and Chloe all made strides with the comeback of checks, sweaters, and beige tones. As winter and early spring approaches, expect to see a lot of brown-on browns, plaid jackets, and pleated skirts. Stock up on some of these items while they’re still cheap because, by February, they’ll be flying off the shelves!

Baggy Denim – Runway vs. Retail

The rise of baggy denim is the perfect example of how comeback trends work. Earlier this year, two of the most influential designers of 2020 — Y/Project and Chanel — introduced baggy blue bottoms to their collections. Items like these were quickly picked up by the A-list celebrities, like the Kardashians and Hadids, who could afford them. Social media influencers typically follow suit of celebrities, and before long, lots of us were met with the virtual return of Y2K-esq fashion. The trend is currently only growing, so expect the tops to get tighter and the pants to get baggier. Cop a pair of loose denim jeans for the winter, and even looser denim shorts before the weather gets hot again.

Fashion has a funny way of cycling back every 20 or so years, so while a lot of these trends are a little new, they aren’t unprecedented. Keep an eye open for these new looks, and if you feel like splurging, grab your wallet and get ahead of the game while you can! Wear the trends that you love, but also the ones that you’re comfortable with; fashion is one of the greatest forms of self-expression, so regardless of what’s ‘in’ and what’s ‘trendy’ the most stylish thing you can do is this: dress what makes you feel like yourself.

Happy shopping!

Disclaimer: Her Campus at St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Check out our social media platforms here!

Sophomore at St. Lawrence University majoring in Government. Lover of oat milk, the outdoors, and 1970s comedies.
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.