This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Written by Ashley Walker (’22)

Buzzwords like “global warming” and “climate change” have been on the rise especially since plastic consumption from the pandemic has skyrocketed. From excessive amounts of takeout and waste to unconsciously combining trash and recycling, this planet that we exist on needs a higher collective consciousness and a stronger awareness. Earth needs love and respect in order to continue on a positive path. Artists are one way to invite the public into a space of understanding because images have the power to connect worldly problems with the regular civilian. There is a deep sense of beauty and activism that painters and photographers are able to do. Here are a few green artists that are making climate change a priority. 

Amanda Schachter and Alexander Levi’s Harvest Dome

In 2013 at Inwood Hill Park in New York City, architects Amanda Schachter and Alexander Levi created a massive dome with 450 umbrellas and 128 bottles. This structure symbolized the harmful effects of world garbage and how it can be turned into something stunning in magnificent ways. 

Virtual Forests by Naziha Mestaoui

This virtual forest projects onto various city spaces in order to show how technology is advancing beyond the natural world in a negative manner. Individuals have the power to connect with their smartphone in order to see the forest. Each virtual plant comes from Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe to show the range of plants. The digital trees also connect to the viewers’ heartbeat for an added effect of realness. 

Portraits of Consumption by Chris Jordan 

Jordan’s work portrays the intense amount of debris that society leaves. Jordan says that human consumption is somewhat ironic and darkly beautiful – yet highly problematic. He pieces together various crushed cars and old cell phones to create a hypnotic quality. 

These works of art are just the beginning for true change to transpire. The ignored wastelands must come to an end, and the act of using a gallery location forces viewers to accept the notions of problematic industrial effects. Art has the ability to please the audience at first, then alert them of the problem. Messages can then unfold in a natural way and humans can contemplate the issues at hand — thinking together of ways in which waste can stop. The role of science, technology and humans who just don’t seem to care stirs up our environment rather than stabilizing it as we should. Let’s focus on ways we can fix our daily habits as a starting point. 

Sources Cited: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/environmental-art_n_5585288

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article. 

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link.

LINKS HERE: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

We are Her Campus St. Law U.
Olivia Modarelli

St. Law U '24

Hi, I'm Olivia! I am currently a freshman at St. Lawrence University and am so excited to be starting my college career. I love to travel, write, dance and act, and I am currently pursuing a career in both writing and the performing arts. Check out this blog post from my gap year abroad: https://blog.apiabroad.com/on-site/auditioning-for-the-moulin-rouge-api-blog/