Hero Images with HC Branding?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Maddi Bazzocco

How to Stay Organized with Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

There are a lot of different opinions surrounding the switch from in-person classes to online classes. For me, I hated them. Honestly, I still don’t love them but I have definitely gotten a better grip at handling a full schedule of online classes in addition to clubs, work, and sports. Online classes can be really overwhelming for students who thrive in a classroom environment. I’m not here to change your opinion of online classes, but my goal is to give you some tips on how to succeed in online classes.

Make Desktop Folders

This is a really easy way to stay organized with online classes. If you have your own laptop, you can create folders for your desktop by using the file tab on your homescreen. I use these all the time and have an “Online Classes” folder that has a subfolder for each specific class I am in. Once you are done with assignments, be sure to put them into the online folder. It eases a lot of stress when you have everything in the same place.

Set Reminders and Alarms

It is really difficult to memorize your schedule, especially in the beginning of the school year. Set reminders for yourself and alarms for when you need to log in to a class or enter a zoom meeting. There are so many times that I write things down in my planner and set an alarm on my phone so that I am positive I am staying on schedule.

Have a Quiet Study Space (and A Backup Space)

This tip was always important, but I can’t emphasize this enough! Having a study space that you can be productive in is essential for both online and in person classes. If you are living with other people, have a back up study space in mind for when your roommates or housemates are distracting you. I’m living in a house this year with three other people. We’ve found that we can all be productive together at our dining room table. However, when I have to take an online exam or be on a zoom call, I prefer to be at my desk in my room or in a room in ODY or JHS. Find what works for you!

Use a Planner or Online Calendar

Planners are key, ladies! It is so important to have a planner if you have a busy schedule. For me, I write down everything going on in my life so I know that my entire schedule is in the same place. If you get annoyed with planners or find that you never use them once you buy them, try using a google or outlook calendar. This is perfect if your classes are online because you will be using a computer anyways. These online calendars can also send you reminders throughout the day and can help you to stay organized.

EMAIL, EMAIL, EMAIL!!!

It is so important to check your emails. There are likely going to be some changes to schedules or assignments and your professors will use this as a means of communication. Feel free to email your professors if you are confused about a deadline or a specific part of a lecture. Professors are there to help you and want you to succeed even with classes being moved to online learning. Get into the habit of checking your email at least three times a day or have your notifications turned on so that you are alerted every time you get an email!

Disclaimer: Her Campus at St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link.

LINKS HERE: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

Lauren Donohue

St. Law U '21

I am a Senior at St. Lawrence University.  I am a Psychology major with minors in Film Studies & Sports Studies and Exercise Science.  I am the captain of the Womens Varsity Volleyball team and am a Senior Admissions Fellow on campus.  I enjoy sunny weather and iced coffee from Dunkin :)   
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.