This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Written By St. Law U Campus Correspondent Hannah Lobdell (’22)

Completing classwork online is mentally taxing for most students. Professors assign everything from reading a forty-page article to eight annotations on a document in Perusall, so it can be hard to stay focused. However, one of the best ways I have found to combat distractions is to have good music playing in the background. As music with lyrics often sends me into musical breaks, I have found that scores and non-lyrical music help my brain focus. Here are some of the best music playlists that I throw on when I need to crank out an assignment.

1. Spotify’s “Deep Focus” Playlist

I found this playlist while scrolling through Spotify’s top-rated playlists. Full of an eclectic collection of musical songs and incredible sound, I find myself sinking into a hard-working mindset whenever I listen.

2. ChilledCow’s Various Playlists

Scrolling through YouTube, I stumbled across this setlist put together by ChilledCow. They play hundreds of different lo-fi songs, and they even have their playlists on Spotify. If a playlist is titled “Study Session — lo-fi beats to focus/work to,” you know it has a good collection of songs.

3. The Piano Guys

I had this group recommended to me by a former teacher. They cover popular songs like “Just the Way You Are” and “A Sky Full of Stars,” which are great to listen to if you want to find a personal favorite but do not want to get distracted by the lyrics.

4. Spotify’s “Brain Food” Playlist

Again, I found this playlist while scrolling through Spotify’s top playlists. But unlike the “Deep Focus,” “Brain Food” serves more as ambient background noise, so it is useful if you do not want to focus entirely on the music. I love using “Brain Food” while writing papers and other thinking-intensive assignments.

5. Lindsey Stirling’s Albums

If you like the violin with a modern twist, then Lindsey Stirling is for you. I adore her albums “Artemis” and “Brave Enough,” as they have a mix of slow and upbeat songs that keep me engaged with my assignments. Plus, they are fun to listen to when you’re not working, and you want some good vibes.

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Original Game Soundtrack

I’m sure this is a strange recommendation, but hear me out. Although it is from a video game (which I have played), this album’s music is incredible. From the soothing strings to the light wind instruments, the music will instantly settle your nerves and increase your focus. There is also a “Skyrim Atmospheres” that plays nature sounds such as babbling brooks and birdsong. There’s a little bit of everything in the album.

I am sure I have missed a few favorites, but I hope that my recommendations give you more songs to listen to and consider listening to when you have a lot of work to get done. Now put on your headphones and listen to some tunes. 

We are Her Campus St. Law U.
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.