This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Valentine’s Day falls upon us once again, a time to celebrate love and joy within a relationship. But for most, Valentine’s Day is an ugly reminder of the love we once had or hope to gain. On the big screen, relationships we see often provide a glimmer of hope to us all, that two of the most unlikely pairs can find love with each other. So it should come as no surprise when they break up, and we are just as devastated and heartbroken as them. These couples shocked us all and left us grabbing the nearest tissue when they called it quits. 

1. Ross & Rachel (Friends)

Far from an avid watcher, it’s safe to say everyone knows about the iconic breakup between Ross and Rachel from the show Friends and Ross’ hilarious “We were on a break” monologue. Since the arrival of Rachel at the Central Perk cafe in her wedding dress, it was safe to say Ross was in love all over again. But when the two were on break, Ross stepped out of their relationship and completely crushed poor Rachel’s heart. But it did raise a serious question is it cheating if you’re on a break. Nevertheless, watchers secretly wish for their reunion and got exactly that in the final season. 

2. Carrie Bradshaw & Aiden (Sex and the City)

We can all say at one point or another we all envy the fashion Queen of NYC, Ms. Carrie Bradshaw, and even more when Aiden was on her arm. The girls of Sex and the City took us on an emotional rollercoaster, but we couldn’t help but feel bad for Aiden when he got cheated on not once but twice. In the end, we hoped for the reconciliation between the two and that Aiden could try to trust and forgive Carrie. That dream came to an end when Mr. Big stepped into the picture for good and Aiden stepped out forever. 

3. Jenny & Nate (Someone Great) 

It is filled with humor and a trio of friends we all secretly need. Someone great had us grabbing a tissue and writing a letter to our former love flames in the train station. Jenny and Nate had been the blueprint for NYC love; they enjoyed exploring the City and concerts. But Jenny realized more opportunities were somewhere else when she got her dream job with the rolling stones in San Francisco. After the pair realized neither one was willing to convert for the other they called it quits. The film shows Jenny and her friends attempting to get tickets for the Neon classic concert, which Nate just happened to be at. Of course, it was a sad sight to see as she couldn’t bring herself to talk to him. The letter she later wrote to him had us all shedding a tear and grabbing a tissue; nevertheless, the movie showed an accurate portrayal of how friends should help when their friend is going through a rough breakup.

4. Scarlett O’Hara & Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind) 

It’s safe to say Scarlett O’Hara was the ultimate southern belle who got anything she ever wanted. Well, except for one thing: her true love Ashley. The three-hour drama put any viewer through a whirlwind of ups and downs and joys and upsets. But nothing became more shocking than the final scene when Scarlett realizes that her true love was indeed Rhett Butler all along. Scarlett rushes to the house but is met with a departing Rhett, who tells her that she is too late, and their relationship can not be salvaged. This, of course, leaves us with the most memorable cinematic quote ever “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” This movie’s heartbreak is one like no other and didn’t leave anybody with a dry eye. 

5. Blair Waldorf & Chuck Bass (Gossip Girl)

The upper east side is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods on the East Coast and is home to almost any millionaires you can think of. But the upper East is home to the most dominant duos. Of course, I’m talking about Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf, the two each season keep viewers on the edge of the seat. They endure dramatic breakups, but none was more shocking than when Blair had to choose between Chuck Bass and the Prince Louis Grimaldi of Monaco. Viewers knew that Blair would, of course, pick Chuck but was devastated when Chuck chose her and told Blair to marry Louis. It seems Chuck and Blair were done for good; But, a pair like that can not stay apart for long, and they fell in love all over again and got married like everybody knew they would. 

6. Tyrion Lannister & Shae (Game of Thrones) 

It was a deceit nobody saw coming, and it’s genuinely shocking because Game of Thrones is filled with brutal backstabbing in every episode. But when Shae, the only one who seemed to have love and mercy for Tyrion Lannister, was secretly sleeping with Tywin Lannister, his father. It was safe to say it left us all with a stunned face. Tyrion Lannister and Shae’s relationship at one point was the sanest one on the show, but her ambitious ways ultimately lead to Tyrion against everything strangling her to death. Nevertheless, the couples end let us all believe the GOT writers could stoop no lower when it comes to relationships. Of course, we were wrong. 

Amaya Locke

St. John's '23

I am a current student at St.John’s University, majoring in marketing with a minor in international business. I am an avid writer and collector of books I forget about in a week. In my free time, I like to write, do nails and binge-watch shows that have been off the air for years. Join me in my journey!
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.