This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of the most important holidays celebrated in America. Sadly Thanksgiving is bypassed between Halloween and Christmas thanks to consumers and marketers. It is never seemed as greatly important as the two holidays besides it. The reason is, it comes and goes in a blink in an eye, as people prepare for the greater holiday such as Christmas. Thanksgiving though is one of the biggest holidays that aren’t spent with all the family. Especially in the college environment, but it is college students like us that should be the most thankful.

Here at St. John’s we’re blessed to spend the Thanksgiving season in New York where there is actually fall. Back in California or other states for most college students, there isn’t that real Thanksgiving feel as the leaves are not different shades of autumn. Most people do not get the chance to go to school or a university in matter of fact. We should be thankful and fully reflect on what a great opportunity we have no matter how hard it seems to get through college. There are people in other parts of the world such as young women who don’t even have the chance to attend a school at all.

What is something you are thankful for this year? Maybe it’s your parents for always being there for you? Maybe it’s your best friend for always making you laugh? Maybe it’s your boyfriend/girlfriend for showing your worth? For me, I am thankful for the fact that I get to finally spend Thanksgiving with my wonderful family, since I missed the celebration last year.

We should always be thankful for our families who allowed us to go to another city, state, country to further our education. And trust that we are going to come out and become successful. We should be thankful for those friends who are allowing us to go home with them for the holidays when money is too tight to go home.  Most importantly we should be thankful for ourselves. For waking up early, staying up late, working long hours writing an essay or studying. It is because of us that will allow us to achieve. No one else. One the main reasons we will succeed is by appreciating and never giving up. Being thankful for our blessings and not taking advantage of it.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and break. Enjoy every moment and relax. More importantly enjoy YOU before finals come around the corner!

Reza Moreno

St. John's

I am 19 years old from Southern Califronia currently a student at St. John's University. I love writing about fashion and sports. My hobbies include designing clothes, writing poems, and reading!
Contributor Account