Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Are Chocolate Aphrodisiacs So Popular for Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

In 2006, scientists finally described the aphrodisiac qualities of chocolate. It has two chemicals that make it have the connection it does to sex. One is tryptophan, which is a building block of serotonin. This block is a brain chemical involved in sexual arousal. The other, called phenylethylamine, is a stimulant related to amphetamine, which is released in the brain when people fall in love. 

Recently, another study was done stating that the #1 gift women want to get for Valentine’s Day this year is chocolate, and the #1 gift men want are sexual favors. 20% of men said they’d like to receive sex for Valentine’s Day, while 30% of women want to get chocolate or candy. From this, we can see that there is a true connection between the chocolate boxes we can find in grocery stores, and sexual desires. 

From chocolate always having had this sexual connotation, there are ways that chocolate has added itself to kinks, sexual desires, and fetishes. You can easily find “body chocolate” or go to your local grocery store for chocolate syrup to spice up your sex life. Going hand-in-hand with whipped cream, using chocolate syrup during sex is next-level whipped cream. This is because it is a little messier and drippier, which requires more tongue action to lick it off your partner after you’ve drizzled it over their erogenous zones. If you want to be romantic while having sex with the chocolate syrup, you can use it to write messages of love on your partner’s body. Since chocolate syrup is dripping like paint, it works much better for body art than whipped cream. 

Chocolate is known as being a stimulating object, both in and out of the bedroom. For example, both kissing and chocolate induces brain states that are alert yet relaxed, and decreases anxiety. Both of these rev up your heartbeat, in a very healthy and good way. Though it tastes amazing, chocolate had some unfair advantages, like the mental stimulants caffeine and theobromine and the serotonin-assisting tryptophan. Chocolate also provides a “natural high” which is caused from the release of the dopamine that its sugar and fat content triggers in the brain.

Alongside it causing fun in the bedroom, it is extremely healthy for the libido of women. According to a study in Italy, female participants who ate at least one cube of chocolate a day were more likely to have a healthier libido than those who did not consume chocolate at all.

If you are feeling spicy, try this with your partner for some new fun. If not, eat a little chocolate every week, especially dark, to help your libido stay healthy, or to help with period cramps when that time comes around! 

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.