Life > Experiences

What To Do as a College Student in NYC: The Bronx Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

When most people come to New York City, they tend to travel to almost every borough, especially Manhattan. The Bronx has seemingly been placed in a confined box filled with negative stigmas that have allowed many to believe that this borough has nothing to offer. As a young woman who was born and raised in the Bronx, these stigmas and scenarios that we see on the big screen that depict the borough, tend to be blown out of proportion and don’t highlight the fun places that tourists and many others can visit.

Some popular places include Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Gardens. Many college students, tourists, and even people in the neighborhood come to these places year-round since they are considered to be two of NYC’s top tourist attractions.

Another place that many people always visit during the summer is Orchard Beach. Walking on the boardwalk and letting the sun rays hit your skin are all things people love to do during warm weather, and with the accessibility of the MTA buses and trains, it is much easier to get to this beach, rather than travel out of state.

Although there are many places to visit in the Bronx, the borough is even more known for the tremendous amount of different food options that are there. One of my personal favorite restaurants is Sammy’s Fish Box in City Island, which is also part of the Bronx as well. Once you walk into this restaurant, there is an entire wall of celebrities that have left their signatures. They specialize in all kinds of seafood and have an incredible menu. People from all over NYC come over to try their exquisite meals.

Lastly, the number 1 place that people from not only NYC come to visit, but across the country come to visit as well, is Yankee Stadium. Some of the biggest baseball players in history have played at this stadium, and many Bronxites, including myself, are very proud to say that this is located in our borough.

The Bronx has many things in store for us to explore, and the list is endless with the small businesses that continue to grow and help bring different concepts from all over to our boroughs expansion. If you’re in NYC and are looking for fun places to go, the Bronx is definitely the place to come and visit, after all, it is the original birthplace of hip hop too!

Ashli-Amari Bent

St. John's '25

Year: Sophomore Major/Minor: Journalism with a minor in Sociology Other Involvements: NAACP, Public Relations Society, The Torch Hobbies: Writing poetry, reading celebrity gossip, and blogging