kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What I Wish I Knew My Freshman Year Of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Freshmen This is For You

By: Emma Dowd

Going away to college for your first semester may bring out all your deepest fears, both rational and irrational. What if I walk into the wrong class? Will I pass my courses? Am I going to eat enough? Will I gain the freshman fifteen? College is a learning process, but it also requires a lot of personal initiative to find the ins and outs of a new campus, and all the tools that are given to you at a university.

I went around my campus and asked upperclassmen what they wish they knew their freshman year.

“I wish I knew how to do my taxes and what it implicates, or college federal loan processes after college and how it affects your credit score,” said Pablo Muñoz, a recent graduate of St. John’s University, who recently started a full-time job.

A good place to start looking into your college loan program and how it is going to affect you is to talk to your counselor or dean, they can help you decipher your loans and what you are paying to the school. Going to your bank and asking questions can help you get answers about your credit score and what that means to you in the long run.

“Most importantly, I wish I knew that everyone next to you is fighting their own battle, whether you think it compares to yours is beside the point. The point is that they are fighting one and understanding that will allow you to look at society as equal on those grounds,” said Muñoz. “Oh and also how to write a proper email.”

Finding out about writing centers on campus and personal tutoring can help you learn to distinguish proper language when writing important emails.

Jordan Tadros, a sophomore at California State University San Marcos, wishes that she knew “to try new things or hobbies, don’t be drunk or high 24/7, get involved in school and make the most of what your campus has to offer.” It’s easy to fall into the partying scene in college but remembering moderation is always important for your health and safety. Tadros also said, “You don’t need to have a ton of friends, it’s okay to just have a few close friends that you really like and have fun with, also that older frat guy doesn’t actually like you.”

Dating can also be a challenging part of college, staying with your high school love or meeting a new person has its own challenges. Chloe Selznick, a sophomore at the University of California Santa Cruz says “I wish I knew to dump my high school boyfriend.”

Community College is also a choice many high schoolers are choosing to make, this can be tricky as after two or more years students are looking to transfer into four-year universities, while still graduating on time. Maya Spangler, a second-year student at Pasadena Community College said “I wish I knew to check transfer agreements before picking classes and that school is more important than whatever job I have.”

College is a challenging time for many students, and each student has a different experience, these are just some experiences that college students have had. Remember that your health and safety is key, and it is now completely your responsibility as you enter the adult world. That person next to you in your classes may seem like your competition, but each person is fighting their way through just like you are. College is not a competition but a time to grow.

Contributor Account
London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media.