The Way I See It, Barbie Has Always Been A Feminist, It’s Just That No One Listened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The classic blonde hair, long-limbed Barbie look created by Ruth Handler in 1959 captured the epitome of what it meant to be a classic woman. She soon sold off the shelves as little girls lusted after the look. This look was not only what most girls wanted to be, but was expected of them. Anything less was not socially acceptable and people who looked different just weren’t part of the cultural narrative. This cookie-cutter ideal put upon women would not change for a long time and arguably hasn’t, although progress is being made. 

Barbie, herself has always been a feminist icon even when the toy company that produced her, Mattel, didn’t see her that way. Barbie set the tone for women–what they should wear, and how to style her hair–at times to an unhealthy and unattainable degree. Denise Duhamel explains it best in her poem The Philosophy of Longevity According to Barbie; Barbie has always longed for more, but she does what she has to, to survive the world we live in. Like every woman. With each cultural change, the doll herself saw some improvement, like in 1965 when Barbie had a bob or in 1984 when she wore a tux–showing little girl there were options besides long hair and skirts. However, with every step forward comes one backward as seen by the plethora of party dresses she was thrust back into, along with a lavender-scented Barbie to add to the areas of life that women could perfect. 

Barbie herself struggled to finder her place in the midst of second-wave feminism of the 1960s and 70s. Here in order to strive for equality, women denounced everything classically female or imposed upon by the patriarchy, including Barbie. It was until the third- wave feminism of the 90s that Barbie was able to see her femininity as a strength rather than a weakness. A girl can be gorgeous and smart. 

Slow to change, Mattel eventually caught on to societal acceptance and celebration of all body types, races, and possible career choices. In 2016, the company rebranded Barbie given girls the option of tall, petite, or curvy Barbie, as well as expanding the range of ethnicity she comes in; finally showing that women come in more than one shape, color and size. Besides appearances, Barbie also took on new professions as well, showing girls they pursue careers other than teaching (although that is still a noble and important profession). Now there is a doctor, president, and one of the most recent,  judge Barbie. 

Soon Mattel’s advertising followed the new diverse Barbies, actively encouraging little girls to be curious, smart, and ambitious without fear because you can be anything. Barbie can finally be the feminist she has always wanted to be. 

Avid reader, writer, and lover of animals. I have combined my passions by majoring in Journalism and Environmental Science and hope to help give a voice to the voiceless whether that be a person, animal, or plant.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.