This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

In a world filled with countless binge-worthy television series, it’s easy for some remarkable gems to slip through the cracks. So, here we’ll explore some shows that may not have a trendy status, but they offer captivating stories and performances that deserve your attention. Below are five TV treasures that were a part of my childhood: 

“Sister Sister”

Remember the stars of Disney’s 2005 film, “Twitches”? Starring Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry, “Sister Sister” is an American sitcom that aired from 1994 to 1999. It depicts the lives of identical twin sisters, Tia and Tamera who were separated at birth and reunited by chance at a shopping mall. Upon discovering each other, they convince their single parents to live together as a blended family, leading to comedic situations as they navigate their teenage years. Despite these varied topics and themes, “Sister Sister” might not have garnered as much recognition as it deserved due to its uncommon diversity and themes for the show’s time. However, there’s a higher chance for the show to gain attention now because our society has progressed concerning diversity and certain topics.

“Ugly Betty”

“Ugly Betty” (2006) was a television show that ran on ABC for four seasons. This captivating series has a unique take on the fashion industry with a blend of humor and heartwarming moments. The show is an adaptation of the Colombian telenovela, “Yo soy Betty, la fea”, but “Ugly Betty” takes place in the bustling fashion hub of New York City. Starring America Ferrera, “Ugly Betty” centers on Betty Suarez, a smart and quirky young woman who defies conventional beauty standards but possesses a strong work ethic and intelligence. The show tackles issues like body image, workplace dynamics and the importance of staying true to oneself. Today, “Ugly Betty” remains a testament to the power of individuality and the idea that beauty is more than skin deep.

“Black Box”

“Black Box” was a drama series that aired on ABC in 2014 for one season. The show explores the life of Dr. Catherine Black, a brilliant neuroscientist played by Kelly Reilly, who struggles with a secret: she has bipolar disorder. The series delves into the challenges  Dr. Black faces in managing her mental health while thriving in her demanding career. It also examines the impact of her disorder on her personal and professional life, including ethical dilemmas that arise in the field of neuroscience.“Black Box” sheds light on mental health issues and can reduce the stigma surrounding them.

“Everybody Hates Chris”

“Everybody Hates Chris” is an American sitcom that aired from 2005 to 2009, directed by Chris Rock himself and Ali LeRoi. The show is a coming-of-age comedy based on Chris Rock’s own experiences growing up in Brooklyn during the 1980s. Chris, played by Tyler James Williams, navigates the challenges of adolescence while dealing with the daily struggles of school and family drama. Chris often finds himself in humorous and relatable situations as he attends a predominantly white school and tries to fit in while facing various social and racial issues. The show brilliantly combines humor with poignant moments and tackles issues of race, class and family dynamics.

“Once Upon a Time”

“Once Upon a Time” is an ABC fantasy television series that aired from 2011 to 2018. The show is known for its unique mode of modern storytelling as it weaves together characters and storylines from a wide range of classic fables, including Snow White, Prince Charming, Rumplestiltskin and many others. As the series progresses, it explores the complex relationships and histories of these characters, as well as their efforts to try to fight evil with good. 

“Forever”

“Forever” is a television series that first premiered on ABC in 2018 including elements of crime, drama, fantasy and comedy. The series follows the life of Dr. Henry Morgan  (played by Ioan Gruffudd) an NYC medical examiner who’s hiding the fact that he’s immortal. Dr. Morgan uses this, and his extensive knowledge of medicine and forensics to help solve cases, while also grappling with the mysteries of his own immortality. Despite its interesting plot, “Forever” had a relatively short run for only one season. However, the show remains a favorite among those who appreciate its mix of mystery and the supernatural.

Overall, these shows offer viewers a  refreshing break from mainstream content by providing new storylines and perspectives. Whether you’re a fan of science-fiction, drama or comedy, these shows are perfect for watching with friends and family or can be savored for a solo adventure into uncharted, underrated TV territory.

Sabrina Sarwar

St. John's '23

Sabrina is a native New Yorker attending St. John's University.