This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As COVID-19 left the world on standby, and the eruption of protest due to the response of the murders of Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and George Floyd. Black and brown communities have found themselves at the center of it all. To bring awareness to the lack of support and recognition of Black and Brown business, hashtags like #blackownedbussinesmatter and threads about local black-owned businesses are continually being posted on social media. If you are looking for more ways to become an ally, the most significant way to support black and brown communities is to shop at black and brown businesses. I have composed a list of black and brown brands that you can support right now that are sending tidal waves within the community. 

1. Black Girl Sunscreen – After seeing a lack of sun protection for people of color Shontay Lundry launched Black girl sunscreen to combat the myth that people of color don’t need sunscreen. The lightweight SPF 30 sunscreen doesn’t leave a white tint that other sunscreens would on darker skin and leaves your face feeling hydrated. 

2. BLK & BOLD – Rod Johnson and Pernell Cezar created BLK & BOLD, in 2018 and is the first Black-owned nationally distributed coffee brand. Its coffee beans are imported straight from Ethiopia, and the coffee has a balance of creamy sweetness and savory, tangy taste. They sell coffee and tea and can be found in stores like Target and Whole Foods. 

3. Milano Di Rouge – Milano Di Rouge started as a small clothing boutique in Philadelphia, created by Philly native Milan in 2012. The high-end clothing brand is seen on celebrities like Megan Thee Stallion, Meek Mill, and Lil Baby, to name a few. The clothing line has a range of selections for all body types and even has a kid section.  

4. Telfar – Telfar is a Black-owned clothing line created by Telfar Clemes, a Queens native. Telfar hottest item is their distinct T logo vegan leather bags that made headlines recently, selling out instantly. What makes the brand stand out, even more, is its price. Their beautiful bags cost no more than $300.  

5. TGIN – As a natural, it can be hard to find hair care products made by black people for black people, but TGIN (Thank God It’s Natural) hair care line caters to all hair types. Chris-Tia Donaldson is the creator and current CEO; after facing a series of battles within her life, she launched TGIN, which sky-rocketed and is now sold in every major retail store in America.  

6. Trap Stix Lip Balm – Trap Stix Lip Balm has become Tik-Tok famous overnight. Hip hop artists heavily influence lip balm names. Some of their flavors include J-Cola, Gucci Mango, Pop Smores, and Cardi Bees. The creator of this trendsetting lip care is 19-year-old Howard student Aysia.   

Make sure you check out these brands because black businesses matter. 

Amaya Locke

St. John's '23

I am a current student at St.John’s University, majoring in marketing with a minor in international business. I am an avid writer and collector of books I forget about in a week. In my free time, I like to write, do nails and binge-watch shows that have been off the air for years. Join me in my journey!
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.