Career > Money

The Ultimate Guide to Side Hustles: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Are you tired of surviving on instant noodles and counting pennies to afford your next cup of coffee?

Let’s face it, between tuition fees, textbooks and the occasional late-night pizza run, our wallets could use a little extra padding. Whether you’re rolling in dough or swimming in student loans, let’s explore some ingenious ways for students to make a quick buck. 

1. Virtual Tutoring 

In a world that is increasingly reliant on remote learning, capitalize on your academic prowess by offering virtual tutoring services. Whether you excel in English, business administration or biomedical sciences, there’s a demand for your expertise. Platforms like Tutor.com and Chegg Tutors provide accessible avenues to connect with students seeking assistance.

1. Graphic Design

Unleash your creative flair and venture into the dynamic world of graphic design. Whether you specialize in logo design, branding or digital illustration, your artistic talents can command a premium in today’s visual-centric landscape. Platforms like Fiverr and 99designs offer a platform to showcase your portfolio and connect with clients seeking design solutions.

1. Personal Fitness Training

Passionate about fitness and wellness? Channel your enthusiasm into a rewarding side hustle as a personal 

fitness trainer. Whether you’re guiding clients through customized workout routines or providing nutritional guidance, your expertise can empower others on their journey to health and vitality. Consider obtaining certification from reputable organizations like NASM or ACE to enhance your credibility in the field.

1. Language Translation 

Fluent in multiple languages? Leverage your linguistic skills by offering translation services to individuals and businesses seeking to bridge language barriers. Whether you specialize in written or verbal translation, your expertise can facilitate communication and foster global connectivity. Explore platforms like TranslatorsCafe and ProZ to connect with clients in need of translation services.

1. Freelance Writing or Editing 

Harness your literary excellence and embark on a journey into the realm of freelance writing. From crafting captivating blog posts to penning insightful articles, opportunities abound in the digital landscape. Platforms like Upwork and Freelancer offer a plethora of writing gigs across various niches, allowing you to hone your craft while earning a steady income.

The world of side hustles beckons with promise and potential. Whether you’re embarking on a quest for financial stability or seeking to expand your skill set, these ventures offer a pathway to personal and professional fulfillment. Embrace the entrepreneurial spirit within you, and may your side hustle journey be both enriching and rewarding.

You’ll be rolling in dough (or at least ramen noodles) in no time!

Kiara Mapp

St. John's '25

Kiara Mapp, a native of Queens, New York, is a dynamic 22-year-old with a passion for literature and writing. With a relentless pursuit of academic excellence and a fervent love for the written word, Kiara continues her studies as a Master of Arts student at St. John's University, majoring in English. As she withholds a distinctive voice and a knack for storytelling, Kiara offers a fresh perspective on issues relevant to the university experience, capturing the attention and admiration of her peers.