This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

To what extent are performers responsible for ensuring the safety of concert goers? That is the question people have been asking following the tragic loss of 10 young lives at the Astroworld festival in Houston, Texas. On the morning of November 6th, I was on my phone and came across a video; rapper Travis Scott continuing to perform as an ambulance attempted to push its way through a thick crowd of people who would not/could not make way. As time passed, the accounts of what had happened seemed to get worse. Fans who attended the event described having difficulty breathing, the inability to move because people were so close, and seeing people die. Following the event, numerous people in the audience took to instagram and compared the experience to being in hell. At this time, 10 deaths have been confirmed (Medical Staff at astroworld responded to 11 cardiac arrests at the same time, CEO of Medic Company says, 2021).

How this tragedy unfolded was a result of lack of preparation and lack of compassion. It has left myself and many others wondering the following: why was the show permitted to go on after teens bum-rushed security checkpoints and barricades prior to the festival? Does this answer why they were so understaffed? Why couldn’t the show have been stopped immediately after mass casualty was recognized? Why didn’t Scott stop his performance? If he did not encourage this sort of behavior, would 10 people still be alive today?

These are questions that haven’t been answered, but my thoughts on a few of them are below. I believe the show went on after what seemed like hundreds forced their way in, because this behavior is normal at these concerts, and has been positively acknowledged by Scott in the past. I think this is where he went wrong as an artist that people look up to. Many idolize artists and listen to them. By making certain behavior at this event seem okay in the past he created a dangerous space that nothing good was going to come out of. Additionally, though it seemed event staff would have been outnumbered regardless, the influx of people who ran through security likely did not help.

I think it is awful that the show continued for as long as it did while people in the crowd suffered. It has become apparent that there was a plan in place for these circumstances, it just was not utilized effectively. Based on videos, a lot of the crew, as well as event staff, seemed unprofessional, and unfazed by cries for help by what was happening feet away from them.

Not long after deaths were confirmed, many fans took to social media to defend Scott. In the days following, many argued that he could not have seen, or done much about what was happening. There is a ton of video that I’ve seen that suggests otherwise. While I think Travis could have done a lot more to help his fans, I don’t think performers should be the sole people to face responsibility when tragedies like this happen. I hope, and think that with time, everyone that is responsible should and will be held accountable. Not only because the families of victims deserve it, but because every person who goes out for a night of fun should make it home.

References

1. Vera, A., Chen, N., Flores, R., & Vercammen, P. (2021, November 16). Medical staff at astroworld responded to 11 cardiac arrests at the same time, CEO of Medic Company says. CNN. Retrieved November 16, 2021, from https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/us/astroworld-paradocs-medic-company-cardiac-arrests/index.html.
Alysha Richards

St. John's '23

19| NY| Hello! My name is Alysha Richards and I am a junior at St. John's University in Queens. I am currently working towards a degree in Legal Studies, and a minor in Journalism. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. Lover of all things Disney & Marvel.