The Lalacoffee Cup
The Lalacoffee Cup
Her Campus Media

The Tea on Pumpkin Spice Lattes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

For years a common debate in America has been: Starbucks vs Dunkin. Both brands have their own great qualities and signature items. However, what we really want to know is: who has the better pumpkin spice latte, Starbucks or Dunkin? There are three main components to a pumpkin spice latte: the flavor, the price, and the strength (caffeine levels). 

1. Flavor

When it comes to flavor, I am going to have to give it to Starbucks. However, the “flavor” of a drink can vary from person to person. Starbucks has always served a nice and completely mixed creamy pumpkin spice latte. On the other hand, Dunkin has more watered down, light drinks. In my opinion, a pumpkin spice latte should be creamy and thick, therefore I think Starbucks has a better PSL when it comes to flavor. Furthermore, Starbucks includes a variety of different ingredients in their pumpkin spice latte such as pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. 

2. Price 

Although Starbucks has better flavor, it does have a higher price tag. According to the Starbucks website, A grande, 16 fl oz, hot pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks will cost a customer $5.25 (some locations may vary). Meanwhile, a large, 20 fl oz, hot pumpkin spice latte from Dunkin will cost $4.19 (some locations may vary). Deciding which to buy, depends on the person and their financial stability. However, as a broke college student, I would always love more coffee at a lower price.

3. Strength (Caffeine)

According to an article by Buzzfeed, Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte, and all of their coffees, contain more caffeine than the drinks at Dunkin. People can look at caffeine levels as both a negative and a positive, but I believe the purpose of coffee is to energize individuals. Therefore, if I wanted to be more energized and awake, I would want to order a PSL from Starbucks. 

All in all, if you want a PSL based on its great flavor and strength, head to your local Starbucks. However, if you want to focus more on the cost of your fall drink, head to your local Dunkin. Happy fall!

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.