mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

SJU Views: Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

On Monday, campus club SJU Views hosted a panel titled “Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice”, the ongoing debate centering around abortion. The panel featured the St. John’s chapter of NY College Republicans (NYCR) and Feminists Unite, a club dedicated to intersectional feminism and women’s rights. The event was held in the DAC ballroom during common hour. 

In the discussion, people from both sides of the political aisle (and independents) discussed questions like “should abortion be legal or illegal?”, “when does life begin?”, and “do fathers have rights/a say in abortion?”. Pro-lifers generally argued against abortion and for restrictive access, while the pro-choice side argued for the woman’s right to have access to safe abortion without government interference. The discussion lasted for over an hour and was filled with students’ passionate about their views. 

“A lot of people don’t see abortion as just pertaining to the mother, it also pertains to the baby” a student and NYCR member stated, arguing in favor of pro-life. “I think if the mother’s life is in danger then definitely she should have the option to have the abortion. The main thing is when it isn’t risking the mother’s physical life. If it’s actually endangering the mother’s health then I agree it should be allowed” he later added. 

Topics regarding abortion bounced back and forth, with students revisiting others’ points throughout the panel as well as igniting new ones. 

“I think a lot of the time we’re too focused on life before they’re even born,” one pro-choice student said to counter the previous. “[…] It shouldn’t be if the mother’s physical health is in jeopardy or their emotional health. This mother’s life, this woman’s life is valuable as she is, therefore she deserves a choice in whatever she wants to do with her body because she can and that’s her life and her body”. Her statement received a few snaps from the audience.

One student asked, “How do you feel if a woman is pregnant and she wants an abortion? What do you think the rights of the father are?” the question caused an uproar in the room. It further led to a discussion about relationships, contraception, sexual education in schools. After the argument going back-and-forth, junior Shaeleigh Severino capped it off. “At the end of the day, what people don’t realize is that we’re talking about a certain relationship with a certain couple. The whole point of the pro-choice movement is for that they can actually decide that, and not the government deciding what a couple or woman should have to do.” 

The debate later took an interesting turn when the topic of life and genesis came up. Students shared their thoughts from viewpoints of legality, philosophy, and personal anecdotes.

A woman proposed the scenario in which a husband murders his pregnant wife. “If some people agree that a fetus isn’t a human being until born … why do we consider it a life then and not in terms of abortion?”

“We already established that legality doesn’t equal morality” an outspoken student rebutted, in favor of pro-choice. “There’s already been two separate definitions, one is very scientific and another is metaphysical”.

Another student shared a personal story to demonstrate her belief that life does not begin at conception. “My sister personally knew someone, she got killed and was pregnant. The person only got charged with her death because the fetus wouldn’t have been able to live outside the womb.” 

The panel was forced to close by the two moderators, despite students continuing to share their views past the event’s end time. They thanked everyone for coming out and highlighted the importance of having an open dialogue.

According to SJU Views, the club was created “in an effort to bring a conversational platform to St. John’s University.” They stated that “in today’s political climate, it’s extremely tough to share views and opinions regarding controversial topics”. “[They are] here to provide liberals, conservatives, and everyone in between an environment to share their perspectives.”

⁣⁣

The next panel has yet to be announced. 

Kayla White is a graduate of St. John's University in Queens, New York with a Bachelor of Science in communications and a minor in public relations. She was involved with Her Campus at St. John's for three years, serving as President in her senior year. Previously, she served as the national Entertainment Columnist Intern for Her Campus national in Spring 2019. She loves everything film, music, and fashion-related. When she isn't roaming around NYC and attending events, she can be found spending time with her sorority sisters, going to the movies and scrolling through Instagram!
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.