This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

On April 9, 2021, the world received the sad news that Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, passed away at 99. Prince Philip has served the British monarchy and the people of Britain for 74 years, since the marriage between him and Queen Elizabeth in 1947. Philip’s roots come from Greece Royalty, being the son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark. Philip and Elizabeth initially met in 1939 and were allowed to marry her after she turned 21 finally. Although Prince Philip was married into the royal family, he had a significant impact on the nation, specifically in the military. Prince Philip was a part of both the Royal Air Force and Navy. He had great success in flying military planes and reached the title of Lieutenant at the age of 21. However, once Queen Elizabeth was crowned Queen in 1952, Prince Philip stepped down from his military roles to support his wife. Elizabeth and Philip had four children: Charles (heir to the throne), Anne, Andrew, and Edward. Not only did Philip play a big role in his four children’s upbringings, but he has also had a great impact on his grandchildren’s lives, specifically Prince William and Prince Harry. Prince William and Prince Harry lost their mother, Princess Diana, in a horrific car accident in 1997. Immediately after the tragedy, it was evident that Prince Philip was there for his grandsons. Before the funeral procession of Diana, Prince William, second in line to the throne, was hesitant to walk behind his mother’s coffin in the public eye. However, Prince Philip, who originally was not going to walk, convinced Prince William to take part in the historic procession by telling him, “I’ll walk if you walk.” His meaningful relationship with his grandsons was displayed then, but also further strengthened with the recent words of Prince William:

“My grandfather’s century of life was defined by service – to his country and Commonwealth, to his wife and Queen, and to our family. I feel lucky to have not just had his example to guide me, but his enduring presence well into my own adult life – both through good times and the hardest days. I will always be grateful that my wife had so many years to get to know my grandfather and for the kindness he showed her. I will never take for granted the special memories my children will always have of their great-grandpa coming to collect them in his carriage and seeing for themselves his infectious sense of adventure as well as his mischievous sense of humour! My grandfather was an extraordinary man and part of an extraordinary generation. Catherine and I will continue to do what he would have wanted and will support The Queen in the years ahead. I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job.”

Prince Philip’s presence and legacy will be remembered and continued to be appreciated by not only the people of Britain, but throughout the world.

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.