Pose & The Impact It Has Had On Bringing Awareness To LGBTQIA+ Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Coming to its third and final season, Pose has been shedding a spotlight for the past two seasons on transgender women. Simultaneously, highlighting the lives, hopes, dreams, and tears, of its characters. Taking place in the 1980’s/1990’s NYC Ballroom Culture, season 1, stars Mj Rodriguez as Blanca Evangelista. Blanca is a transgender Latina woman diagnosed with HIV. With a bit of a talk from her friend Pray Tell (Billy Porter), she decides to make dreams of her own come true. Starting with making her own house. We then follow the lives of Damon, Elektra, Angel, Pray Tell, Candy, Ricky, and many more of the characters in the ballroom.

POSE has given a spotlight to the Transgender people of the LGBTQIA+ community.

Simultaneously, casting the largest cast of transgender and LGBTQIA+ people of color, POSE debunks many myths that have hovered over the LGBTQIA+ community. Whether it has been within the community or in the eyes of the world in the ‘80s,‘90s, and present day. Discussing and educating on the topic of HIV/AIDs during a time period where the President wouldn’t speak of its existence to a parallel where the discussion of the topic today may only come up on World AIDS Day. The show also explores and educates on sex, safe sex-not just sex between men and women. We also see the trials and tribulations of being trans and a person of color. Where there was a lot of racism and prejudice within even the LGBTQIA+ community for being a trans woman let alone being Black or Hispanic. Lastly, highlighting ballroom culture and paying respect to the trans community that has its language and culture used in society and Entertainment but still not given their credit, support, or attention.

The ballroom community has been the origin of many iconic dance moves, seen through the decades, including voguing. Pose has captured the storytelling of voguing with the special help of a ballroom legend, José Gutierrez-Xtravaganza a choreographer who also contributed as the show’s consultant. 

However, Pose has possibly done one of the most important things for the transgender community.  Allowing the lives and the stories of transgender people to be fleshed out as more than a label or stigma. Reminding people and educating people that people of the LGBTQIA+ community are and have always been human. Emphasizing that the people of the LGBTQIA+ community are just as deserving of love and family. 

POSE has given more beyond its screen. Giving a platform to its cast that has allowed them to give back and also a time for the LGBTQIA+ community to tell their experiences. To tell their truth and courage to continue to live their truth. 

Hopefully, with the success of Pose, Entertainment can see more stories for the trans community, written by trans people, and a greater influx of casting for trans actors. 

The Ballroom culture still exists today. With a film created in 2016 called Kiki. It is an unofficial sequel that can be watched on Amazon Prime. 

As for Pose, the first two seasons are out for you to binge on Netflix. For the last chapter of the story, you can catch the premiere on May 2nd on FX.

Yanne Myra

St. John's '23

Currently, a Sophmore taking in the pleasures of the world-building and many more of what words and music can offer.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.