Podcasts That You Should Actually Give a Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Everywhere I turn these days I see news about some celebrity or “influencer” trying to revive their careers by starting a podcast, and I’m not mad at it. Podcasts can range from entertainment, comedy, therapy, to news recaps. If you’re tired of listening to your music and can’t handle another Netflix binge, may I direct you to these podcasts with a wide array of topics:

• For someone who is looking for advice from a friend: Anything Goes, by Emma Chamberlin

Emma Chamberlain is a prominent, popular, and extremely influential YouTuber whose career has been exploding within recent years. Her podcast, Anything Goes feels like a comfortable conversation with a friend that discusses relationships, friendships, mental illness, and personal growth.

• For someone who needs a news update: The Daily, by The New York Times

Presented by The New York Times and hosted by Michael Barbaro, The Daily is a 20 minute daily podcast that recaps the most recent and important news updates from around the world in an easy to digest way.

• For someone who wants to feel smarter: TED Talks Daily, by TED

TED Talks Daily is a daily podcast hosted by Elise Hu where different talks are posted daily that discuss topics from developments in science, to feminism, to fashion, to climate change, and even architecture. These talks may make you think about certain topics in ways you may have never previously considered before.

• For someone who needs a laugh: Smartless, by Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett

Smartless is hosted by Jason Bateman of Arrested Development, Sean Hayes of Will & Grace, and Will Arnett of Arrested Development. Each episode, these three comedians interview a new celebrity. These unscripted interviews are just as insightful as they are hilarious.

• For fans of reality TV: Hot Off The Mess, by Samantha Bush

As a diehard Bravo fan, I just had to include this podcast as it is a personal favorite. Hot Off The Mess hosted by Samantha Bush, is a podcast that does a deep dive into Bravo universe and all that it entails. Additionally, Bush discusses recent events and drama in pop culture all while giving her own opinions with no hesitation.

• For the True Crime fans: My Favorite Murder, with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark

Another personal favorite, My Favorite Murder examines and explains different homicide cases throughout history in great detail, giving insight as to just how these horrible cases have come to be. Additionally, hosts Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark will occasionally bring on celebrities who are able to share cases they are familiar with and ones that have impacted them.

Grace Kelly

St. John's '25

Grace is in her second year at St. John's University majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in English. She enjoys reading, writing, exploring the city, and watching rom-coms in her free time.