Podcast Recommendation: Call Your Girlfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Ever heard of the word “podcast”, but don’t exactly know what it is? Or perhaps you know what a podcast is and just do not know where to start to find a good one? Well you’ve found the right place, because I am about to show you the most girl-postive podcast that is out there, called “Call Your Girlfriend”! I have just recently gotten into the world of podcats, and this one is my favorite at the moment. 

To start, what exactly is a podcast? The formal definition is a form of audio media that is available on the internet to subscribe to or download that consists of episodes that are usually episodic in nature. In other words, it’s people talking about topics of interest. So, how do you divulge into the world of podcasts? You can really listen to podcasts anywhere on the internet, but the iPhone podcast app has a vast array of various podcasts. While I am not very familar with androids, I can only assume that there is a similar app on the phone. Everyone already has the podcast app if you own an iPhone; see that purple icon pictured above with what looks like a person with two circles behind them? That is the podcast app and once you find it on your iPhone, you can search for any podcast that is out there and subscribe to keep up with new episodes.  Like searching for “Call Your Girlfriend”!

“Call Your Girlfriend” was started in May of 2014 by two long distance friends, Aminatou Sow (pictured left) and Ann Friedman (pictured right). Their podcast consists of their chatter (while being long distant) about topics relating to feminism, social issues such as racism and sexism, pop culture, and just overall girl-talk! Occasionally, they recommend articles and books to their listeners and special guests get featured in the show as well. Entertainment Weekly even said “Put it on your speed dial!”, about CYG. If this podcast “for long-distance besties everywhere” is to your liking, then subscribe to “Call Your Girlfriend” on the iPhone podcast app! 

If you want any more information about “Call Your Girlfriend”, go to callyourgirlfriend.com or follow them on twitter @callyrgf

Thanks for tuning in! 

Amanda Carlson is a Criminal Justice major at St. John's University, and also minoring in Sociology and Women and Gender Studies. With a passion of feminism and a hobby of anime, video games and poetry, I hope to enhance my writing by sharing it with the hercampus female community. 
Contributor Account