This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As a directioner, I truly believe the release of Midnight Memories changed the members of One Direction from boys to men. There is a huge shift in style and sound from their previous album just a year before. Here are my reviews of each track on the Midnight Memories album: 

1. “Best Song Ever”- This song was the first single released for the Midnight Memories album, and it was nothing short of iconic. The quirky and comedic music video also gave fans an enjoyable preview of the boys’ personalities and acting skills. 

2. “Story of My Life”- I think this is one of One Direction’s most memorable songs. As the album’s second released single, it grew in popularity and had a very meaningful music video as well. 

3. “Diana”- This is probably one of my least favorites on the album. Although it is very catchy, it never really stood out to me. 

4. “Midnight Memories”- Midnight Memories was an all-out rock and roll hit. One Direction doesn’t seem like a boy band with this song. 

5. “You & I”- This song has such a cute meaning and really captures Zayn’s strong vocals. 

6. “Don’t Forget Where You Belong”- Don’t Forget Where You Belong allows you to reflect on your roots and is a reminder to appreciate where you came from. 

7. “Strong”- Strong has a great sing-along chorus and I personally think this is one of the best songs on the entire album. 

8. “Happily”- Classic and catchy song. The strong bridge is my favorite part of the song. 

9. “Right Now”- This is one of my favorite One Direction songs ever. It is very underrated and allows listeners to truly hear and appreciate every members’ voices. 

10. “Little Black Dress”- Great sing-along song with the perfect amount of punk rock. 

11. “Through the Dark”- The acoustic guitar sound, in the beginning, creates a different sound compared to the rest of the album. Through the Dark has such a sweet message of always being there for someone. 

12. “Something Great”- Highly underrated song on the album. Harry’s coverage of the chorus gives me the chills.

13. “Little White Lies”- So many beat drops in one song. Again, it has a very rock and roll feel similar to the entire album. 

14. “Better Than Words”- Only recently did some directioners pick up on the style of this song and that the lyrics include the titles of numerous other songs. 

15. “Why Don’t We Go There?”- This isn’t one of the songs that an average person would recognize or know the lyrics to. However, it is a really fun upbeat song on the album. 

16. “Does He Know?”- Similar to “Why Don’t We Go There?”, “Does He Know” isn’t a very popular track. However, it has a great beat and 

17. “Alive”- Alive is the epitome of the rock and roll vibe of this entire album. I also think it focuses on Niall’s voice really well. 

18. “Half a Heart”- This slow, break up song will make you feel like you’ve gone through a break up yourself. Half a Heart captures all of their voices in a beautiful and genuine way. 

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.