This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

With BookTok taking over the shelves of our favorite bookstores, some authors have risen to the forefront of popular publications. Sally Rooney is one of those authors and she has gained popularity over her book, Normal People, which has now been adapted into a Hulu original series. Although I haven’t watched the show, I have read the book, and here are my thoughts on not only the story, but Sally Rooney as an author. 

The book focuses on the two main characters, Connell and Marianne, and their on and off situationship. At first glance, the two characters have nothing in common, their conversations are mundane and yet we are still pulled into their relationship. I think the constant on-and-off of their relationship adds to the realism of the story. Although it may be frustrating to read, it makes you wonder what a relationship should look like. 

To some readers, their connection seems somewhat toxic, as Connell is often embarrassed of Marianne and keeps their relationship secret, however it’s a prime example of what dating in today’s society might look like. The uncertainty of knowing what being with someone looks like and how to have a healthy relationship. 

Sally Rooney as an author is fantastic. As an avid reader I consume all types of genres, some being artistic and complex, while others are easy YA reads. I found her writing to be beautiful. It’s not a complicated read in any way, but she’s able to encompass you in the characters she’s created; especially because the story is very character driven. 

I do have to say that if you like a plot with a little more action then this book is not for you. I truly believe that this book does a wonderful job of looking at dating as a culture and what it means to have complicated relationships. I would give this book a ⅘ stars, as it wasn’t my favorite book I’ve ever read because the plot can be slow at times, but it’s definitely worth reading.

Kaila Lightburn

St. John's '24

Hello my name is Kaila, I’m a Junior at St. John’s University. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in fashion studies. I am also an ambassador, a mentor and apart of the campus magazine and some of my hobbies include watching movies, hanging with friends and reading!