My Female Role Model: The Duchess of Cambridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Ever since her Royal wedding on April 29, 2011, I have been infatuated with Catherine Middleton, The Duchess of Cambridge. Her beauty, elegance, and strong female role in the Royal Family, has inspired me in an abundance of ways. She is known for her style, always wearing trendy, but classy, clothing. She is a mother of 3, but balances her motherhood and her leadership position with ease. She has advocated for multiple charities, reflecting the work and passion of her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana. Although there are mixed opinions on the Royal Family and their role in the UK, Princess Kate has set an example for young girls and women throughout the world. 

After marrying Prince William, Princess Kate immediately entered the Royal Family’s prestigious lifestyle. As the future King and Queen Escort of England, there is a lot of pressure on Prince William and Princess Kate. However, they both seem to handle this tremendous pressure with grace and calmness. They have 3 kids, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, adding them to the throne lineage. On top of parenting 3 children, Princess Kate constantly participates in charities and volunteer work. One universal topic that Princess Kate has tremendously advocated for is mental health awareness, both with children and adults. In 2016, Princess Kate, along with Prince William and Prince Harry, created a campaign called “Heads Together”. “Heads Together” focuses on mental health awareness and fundraises for innovative mental health services. Along with “Heads Together”, the Duchess launched “Mentally Healthy Schools” in 2018, which is a website that provides resources and information regarding mental health to schools. To further her passion for mental health, she created “Our Frontline”, during the Covid-19 pandemic. This support system provided first responders with online help and therapy services as they witnessed the hardships of the coronavirus first hand. Along with creating these organizations to help others, Kate has reflected on mental health experiences as a mother. In 2016, the Duchess of Cambridge served as the guest editor of Huffington Post UK. She wrote, “Like most parents today, William and I would not hesitate to seek help for our children if they needed it. We hope to encourage George and Charlotte to speak about their feelings and to give them the tools and sensitivity to be supportive peers to their friends as they get older” (Durand & Hasan, 2016).  She emphasized the importance of normalizing discussions on mental health in their own family. She hopes the idea of open conversations about mental health will resonate with other families and people throughout the world. Years ago, mental health and mental illness weren’t topics that society talked about casually or willingly. It was an uncomfortable subject that was kept personal by many. However, with leaders like Kate Middleton, the narrative of mental health has changed.

Along with mental health awareness, she has also normalized the struggles of being a mother. She has shared her own difficulties with severe morning sickness, caused by Hyperemesis Gravidarum during all of her pregnancies, and how she constantly suffers from “mom guilt”. Furthermore, Kate Middleton has supported other charities regarding the climate crisis, addiction, art, and more. Her participation with these organizations and her profound impact on society has been called the “Kate Effect”. As a young woman, I don’t want ineffective and average world leaders to look up to. I also don’t want all of them to be men. Kate Middleton is a prime example of a female, hardworking, and relatable leader. In 2011, she entered the Royal Family, and since then she has developed such an inspiring and personable presence for people around the world to follow. Although she never met her mother-in-law, I truly believe she tries to exemplify the same kindness and selflessness that Princess Diana, “The People’s Princess”, did when she was alive. We need more leaders like The Duchess of Cambridge in the world. 

References

1. Durand, C., & Hasan, L. (2016, February 17). Duchess of Cambridge Raises Mental Health Issues as Guest Editor of Huffington Post UK. ABC News. Retrieved October 25, 2021, from https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/duchess-cambridge-raises-mental-health-issues-guest-editor/story?id=36995120.
Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)