This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the only movie that I have spent over 2 hours and 50 minutes watching without regretting it. This comedy/drama film directed by Quentin Tarantino shows us an interesting perspective on a story that many of us already know. When I decided to watch this movie, I had no prior knowledge of what it was about, it was just on my list of movies I heard were worth the watch. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood follows the story of an actor and stunt double whose heydays are long gone, and are trying to find their way in Hollywood again. With big names like Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, and obviously the director himself being Quentin Tarantino, it comes as no surprise that this movie would become successful. Big names are not always enough to carry a movie to success, but this was no concern with the movie’s wild storyline.

What is interesting about this movie is that a storyline occurring in the background becomes the most shocking part. Although most of the characters in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are fictional, we see a depiction of the Manson family cult and the murder of Sharon Tate. In this film, Sharon Tate is neighbors with one of the main characters, and the Manson’s attempt to murder him first. Although this did not really happen, no Quentin Tarantino movie can be complete without some extra violence. The culmination of these events takes place at the very end of the film, and it will certainly catch you off guard. Quentin Tarantino manages to hide what is really going on in the background with a lighthearted story about 2 best friends. This angle is genius when paired with the cult theme, because people who join a cult usually do not realize what is going on. I personally have read about the Manson family and their murders before, but did not realize they were a part of this movie until the very end. Members of the Manson cult are shown all throughout the film, but the picture Quentin Tarantino paints of the cult, tricks you into believing they were just another group similar to how the real cult did. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood gives us a different perspective on a tragic event that took place in Hollywood’s history. I love that the writer’s take on Sharon Tate was not focused completely on her untimely death, but looked at her in a different sense. Quentin Tarantino definitely knows how to put his own spin on things, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a prime example. This movie is a must watch for Quentin Tarantino fans, film and true crime lovers, and even history buffs. It is a lengthy watch, but it is worth the time, and you will find yourself thinking about it and recommending it to others soon after the credits roll.

Carly Cataldo

St. John's '23

20 Fashion Business Major and Public Relations Minor at St. John's University