Kim Kardashian West’s SNL Monologue Showed That She’s More than Just Pretty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

If you consider yourself somewhat of a pop-culture connoisseur like myself, then you probably have heard of or seen Kim Kardashian West’s SNL episode last Saturday, October 9th. When I found out that she was hosting, I was confused, but I was so excited to see what she would bring to the table– and she ATE! The skits, “The Dream Guy”, and “The People’s Kourt”, were utterly hilarious, but what stood out to me was her monologue.   

As a pop culture icon, Kim Kardashian West and her family have been in the limelight for years. With a life in the media, her monologue was a great way for her to shed some light on the drama of her family.  She starts out addressing most of the world’s confusion to see her host. She informed audiences, “When they asked, I was like, you want me to host? Why? I haven’t had a movie premiere in a really long time. I mean, I actually only had that one movie come out and no one told me it was even premiering. It must have slipped my mom’s mind.” 

The satirical fun does not stop there. Her subtle dig at mother Kris Jenner and her much younger beau Corey Gamble, gave viewers a preview of the friendly shade to come. She continued, “But the one thing I’m really proud of is that no one could ever call me a gold digger. Honestly, I’m not sure how you even become one. So I asked my mom’s boyfriend Corey.” 

The reality TV star then recognized her privilege to live such a lucky life, telling audiences that a passion of hers is, “getting wrongly accused people out of jail”, to which she received much applause. She takes the moment to recognize her father, and continues with the obvious O.J joke, leaving audiences stunned. 

She later addresses the obvious elephant in the room, her ex Kanye West, calling him the “best rapper of all time”. She continues adding that, “Not only that, he’s the richest Black man in America — a talented, legit genius who gave me four incredible kids. So, when I divorced him, you have to know it came down to just one thing: his personality.”

In the last moments of her monologue, she remarks how excited she is to host the show, and how she’s used to having many people watch what she does, so what’s SNL? She ends the joke by saying that the show will be a “chill, intimate night for her”. 

Viewers of the October 9th show were amazed to see the “edge” Kim Kardashian West showed while making digs at her family. There was pretty positive feedback on Twitter with people praising her performance.

Kim’s performance was one for the ages. I finished watching the episode and was shocked at the humor and talent; and much praise also goes to the SNL writers who were able to deliver an iconic show. I can’t wait to see what is next for Kim, and I hope she continues with this comedic stride, and continues to show people that there is more to her than just her physical appearance.

Olivia Seaman

St. John's '25

Olivia is a first year Journalism and Film Studies student from PA with a passion for women's rights and pop culture. She hopes to change the world one article at a time!