This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It is a holy month in which Muslims participate in fasting between sunrise and sundown. Fasting includes abstaining from food, drinking, smoking (tobacco), as well as curbing negative thoughts, emotions and actions. This includes gossiping, lying, backbiting, feelings of anger, etc. The purpose of the month is also reflected in one’s attempt to participate in more prayers, self-reflection, and gratitude. 

Despite being such a holy and joyous month of spirituality, fasting is definitely tough enough as it is without having to deal with exams, part-time work, and papers to do as a college student. Here are some tips on how to mentally prepare for Ramadan as a college student, for those participating and for those not! 

How to Prepare for Ramadan as a Practicing Muslim:

1. Make sure to get your water in… 

Fasting causes a lot of dehydration which often can’t be made up for in the hours between Maghrib (sundown) and Fajr (sunrise). Try your best to keep hydrating in those hours in between, and especially during Sehri (meal before sunrise)! Sunnah says that Sehri should at least consist of some water and a date, which is definitely easier to digest than an entire meal at 5 in the morning. 

1. Get your rest—

Sleep-cycles are definitely a bit disturbed, or at least different, during the month of Ramadan because of the odd eating hours. Despite this, try your best to get in naps when you can— even if they’re just small power naps throughout the day! It is easy to get tired and fatigued while fasting, and the stresses of school work will definitely add to that, so it’s important to catch up on your sleep. 

1. Plan

Plan how to fit prayers into your schedule beforehand! Running between classes and finding time to pray is definitely tough, but don’t forget to make use of different resources on campus where you can observe and pray. Also try not to be harsh on yourself if you miss a prayer— you can always make it up later!

1. Prepare Sehri meals the night before… 

For college students living away from home, it’s tough to get a full, healthy, and balanced meal in before sunrise. To make this easier for yourself, try preparing meals the night before and packing them accordingly, or make use of protein bars and protein yogurts in the morning. 

-Some Meal Ideas:

• Overnight Oats
  • Smoothies
  • Dates
  • Boiled eggs
  1. Communicate with those around you!

Not everyone is aware of what Ramadan is and what it entails for a Muslim. To prepare the non-observers around you, give them a heads up! If you have iftar during class, talk to your professor to make sure you can get a snack in when it’s time to break your fast. If you have a roommate, make them aware that you’ll be waking up at early hours to eat. Let your friends know if you aren’t comfortable going out as much during this month. Speak to your professors if you feel fatigued and drained during class and you feel that is affecting you. People are understanding and respectful given communication!

1. Don’t be harsh on yourself, and don’t let yourself get overwhelmed.

Everyone’s relationship with the month of Ramadan, and with religion in general, is individual and different. Be respectful of other people who may not observe the same way as you, and don’t compare yourself if you feel you aren’t “doing enough”. We all have a lot of responsibilities with college alone, so make sure to be extra kind to yourself and try to observe peace this month.

How to Support your Muslim Friends During Ramadan: 

1. Don’t feel weird about eating around your Muslim friends!

Although it is appreciated and considerate to ask if someone’s comfortable with it, many Muslims don’t want our fasting to get in the way of your daily routine! 

1. Ask questions if you’re curious and want to know more!
  2. Be considerate if your friends are fatigued or tired— don’t take it personally, they’re just hungry!
Amal Ahmad

St. John's '24

Hi everyone! I'm a fourth-year legal studies major, with minors in creative writing and critical race and ethnic studies. I have a strong passion for writing as a tool of creative, academic, and cultural or social expression, and Her Campus has been an amazing outlet for me to do that. I hope to further my education in either law or English!