Life > Experiences

How to Make The Most Out of Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The holiday season is approaching, and that means that it’s also the shopping season! Black Friday is on November 26th, and the day has always been known as a stressful rollercoaster. But it doesn’t have to be! As a retail worker at a major company, I have worked multiple Black Fridays, so I have seen a thing or 2. Here are some tips (and retail secrets) on how to make the most out of your Black Friday.

Do Your Research 

Before you hit the shops on Friday, plan out what stores you wish to shop at. This makes the entire process of the day less stressful and more fun! A vital piece of research that so many people forget about is the store’s return and exchange policies. Many stores will not allow same-day returns, so be extra careful about that. You also want to see if when you return, you will get cash back or money put on a store credit card. If you plan to shop online and wish to return your products in store, check the return policies before you buy from a store with a strict policy. Doing the work before makes an incredible difference and saves unnecessary stress overall.

Online Shopping is King 

One thing that has happened with retail because of the COVID-19 pandemic is the shift to online retailers. More products have become widely available online, and companies realize the increased demand for online shopping. Another advantage of shopping online is that there may be a bigger or better variety of products that you may not see in stores. These deals will not only be active on Friday, but most likely until the end of Cyber Monday! So, do not worry if you miss Black Friday or passed on a store because it had a long line.

Shop Early 

This may seem like an easy decision, but get to the stores as early as you can to ensure you get the best deals and get more of the items on your list. Sacrificing a little bit of sleep on Thanksgiving may seem like a struggle, but it will pay off once you get the best items for the best prices.

Use Loyalty Programs 

As tedious as it may seem to sign up for store loyalty programs, they basically give you free money to shop at their store. Loyalty programs are not to be confused with store credit cards; loyalty programs generally require your name, e-mail, and phone number (they also are usually free). Employees will give you a chance to sign up when you buy, and they will most likely add the discount upon buying. Another benefit of being a part of loyalty programs for a time before Black Friday is that they may give you exclusive deals, because they know you will spend your money at their store. Some will give you a percentage off, or some will take actual money off. Money is money, so get ahead and sign up for the loyalty programs!

Be Nice to Employees 

As much as an emphasis is put on the shoppers on Black Friday, the retail employees are just as important. If you get angry or impatient, just know the workers are doing the best they can to ensure that you, the customer, have the best experience at their store. It is just as stressful for us as it is for you! This Black Friday, try to thank a worker for their efforts, as they go unnoticed! They will be so happy you made the effort, and it will make your experience even better! 

Follow these simple tips, and I promise Black Friday shopping will be a breeze. These 5 simple tips will, if executed correctly, save you so much time, energy, and stress. Holiday shopping is supposed to be fun! Happy shopping and remember to thank your local retail workers!

Olivia Seaman

St. John's '25

Olivia is a first year Journalism and Film Studies student from PA with a passion for women's rights and pop culture. She hopes to change the world one article at a time!