This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As someone who has switched their major twice now at St. John’s University, I know a thing or two about knowing how to figure out what major feels like the best fit. It can be difficult picking your major. Don’t worry though, I’m here to ease your fears and let you know how to find the right path for you. 

I started college as a biology major with dreams of becoming a pediatric doctor which had been a dream since I was young. However, the reality of college and the fact that I did not excel in chemistry unfortunately deterred me from continuing that career path. I was distraught and confused as I couldn’t see myself in any other field. I sat down with my friends and began making a list of everything I liked, hobbies, topics, and even objects. From that list, my friends and I thought it’d be best for me to become a communications major with a minor in fashion studies. 

Now it was intimidating to enter a completely different field with no prior experience, but I soon found that I fell in love with the major, with public speaking and connecting with people. I found myself excelling far beyond what I could imagine, getting internships and working with brands I never thought possible. I then switched my major again to public relations after taking an intro class and feeling that it represented me best.  

I am now a junior in college, just finally finding my way. So do not stress if you feel what you’re doing is not the best fit. It is better to find what makes you happy than to stay in a major simply because it’ll make you the most money. Something I’ve learned from mentors I’ve had is that money will come if you push yourself to be the best within your preferred industry, so do not settle for the sake of a dollar. 

Kaila Lightburn

St. John's '24

Hello my name is Kaila, I’m a Junior at St. John’s University. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in fashion studies. I am also an ambassador, a mentor and apart of the campus magazine and some of my hobbies include watching movies, hanging with friends and reading!