This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

On Feb. 24, 2022, Russian President Vladimir Putin sent his army into Ukraine and began attempts to take over the country. This war marked the first major European war in decades and shocked the world. Fighting and gunfire increases daily, and over 2.5 million refugees have left the country. Food and water supply are becoming scarce, and organizations on the front line are doing all they can to help people with basic needs. 

Like many others, I feel helpless when I see neighborhoods blown up and refugees fleeing the country. I thought there must be something I can do to help the people of Ukraine. I found legitimate organizations that are sending humanitarian aid to Ukraine. Also, many non-profits as well as Facebook funds collect money that will be distributed to those in need. Here is a list of organizations that are asking for assistance. Donations can be made through the links. 

MEEST

Meest is an e-commerce business that provides “international package and freight delivery service at the most competitive price on the market.” The company is accepting humanitarian aid packages for Ukraine at low prices. Meest also has a list of goods that are needed most in Ukraine. The list contains tactical/medical supplies, hospital needs, and civilian goods. 

UNICEF

UNICEF has been working continuously in eastern Ukraine, “delivering lifesaving programs for affected children and families.” The organization is supplying emergency education supplies, health/hygiene products and teams to ensure child protection in eastern Ukraine. Their goal is to help children impacted by violence get the proper care and education that they need. 

CARE

This organization is raising money for its Ukraine Crisis Fund, which will provide expedited aid such as water, food, hygiene products and direct monetary assistance. CARE aims to gather 4 million in donations and targets innocent families, women and girls, and the elderly. 

Save the Children

This London-based organization has been operating in Ukraine since 2014, and delivers essential aid, including basic necessities, psychosocial support and cash assistance. They also aim to help poverty in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions of Ukraine, which has risen over 57 percent. STC provides children with “access to safe, inclusive, quality education.”

Sunflower of Peace

Sunflower of Peace is a non-profit that “prepares first aid medical tactical backpacks for paramedics and doctors on the front lines.” Each backpack has the ability to save ten lives and helps Ukrainian soldiers, volunteers, civilians and children. These backpacks help these groups survive in these tough conditions and are crucial to those in need. 

Big or small, a donation means everything to the people of Ukraine. Your support means the world to the people of Ukraine, and your donation can help so many.

Olivia Seaman

St. John's '25

Olivia is a first year Journalism and Film Studies student from PA with a passion for women's rights and pop culture. She hopes to change the world one article at a time!