Career > Money

How to Grocery Shop Effectively (and on a Budget) as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

We have all been there: tired of college food, needing a break from the college campus, and overall, in need of some serious retail therapy. I don’t know about you all, but my favorite outlet is to go to Target. Yes, I love shopping at Target, but Target (or any store) with no list and just vibes, can be extremely dangerous budget wise when your college budget only allows for a certain amount of money. So, the best thing to do before heading to the grocery store is to come up with a list. But not just any list; a detailed list of the specific items, the quantity, and the price. This way, you aren’t just adding frivolous things to the list, but you’re being cautious of your budget and your needs. Whenever I go to the grocery store, I like to pick up 2 things that I just want, while ensuring the rest of my list is precisely need-based only. I like to divide my list between produce snacks, beverages, hygiene products, cleaning products, and wants. This way, I have a  concise method of where to go in the store as I shop.

Many may have heard of the infamous “freshman 15”, where freshman students come to college campuses and gain 15 additional pounds. Hearing about the “freshman 15” can be a little scary, but when you go grocery shopping, you can be more cautious about the things you are picking up. I like to make sure that I’m adding fruits, vegetables, and healthy alternative snack options. An example of this would be that instead of reaching for the high-calorie bag of chips, I’m switching out for fewer calorie options, like popcorn with light butter. Also, I love incorporating things such as carrot sticks, bananas, cut-up fresh fruit, or even smoothies for on the go.

Learning to budget can be extremely challenging, but if you have a list with everything you need while balancing what you can hold off for a little bit later, you can leave the store happy, but with a bit of extra coin still in your pocket. Happy shopping, and always remember it’s not what you do, but how you do it. You can still enjoy shopping like everyone else without breaking the bank!

Leah Minerve

St. John's '24

Hello Everyone, I am Leah M., a Sophomore Journalism major and PR minor here at SJU. I can't wait to write about the experiences that women especially can connect, understand, and reflect upon while sharing personal stories from my own life. My goal always is to be a voice for the unheard and bring light to the stories we rarely tell.♡