This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

With the countless memes on @dripomage on Instagram, we all know that Montgoris, the dining hall located on the Residence Village strip, is extremely hit or miss, especially for dinner. 

Here are some of the ways you can make Monty’s work for you!

Breakfast at Monty’s is always a win. The amazing omelet bar run by the beautiful Angela is a  fluffy eggceptional dish that never disappoints. At the omelet bar, you can choose from a variety of vegetables, meats, and cheeses to add to your eggs. In addition, they offer egg whites for those who cannot eat or do not like the yolks of eggs. 

Other than the omelets, Monty’s biscuits and bacon are also a good choice and the coffee machines welcome you with the caffeine fix you need to get you through the day.

For those who want a traditional breakfast, many types of cereals familiar from your childhood are available. From Trix to Cocoa Krispies, the sweet cereals might be the perfect fix to your homesickness. They offer regular, almond, and soy milk to match with the cereals or to drink with your first meal of the day. A Monty’s classic and a personal favorite of many of my friends is the chocolate milk. 

Moving on,  the sandwich bar at Monty’s is a lunchtime staple. Comparable to a healthier Subway with a wide variety of meats, breads, condiments, and cheeses. The combinations of sandwiches are endless. However, if you are not in the mood for sandwiches, the Hibachi section of Monty’s is open specifically for lunch during Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is the favorite of many students, so it may be a long line depending on when you go and who is there, but it will be worth it!  The hibachi has a cult-like following and some students think it should be served for lunch and dinner every day.

With regard to the last meal of the day, Monty’s can truly flop. The highlight of dinner at Monty’s is the variety of dishes that they offer during the week. For example, the gyros, Jamaican beef patties, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and grilled vegetables all have a following of students who eat them all the time. The variety nights at Monty’s are always surprising, but you just have to see what suits your palette. They are great if you are willing to try something new.

What never fails students at St. John’s is the all-day ice cream bar. With soft and hard ice cream available, you can always get your sweet fix regardless of the weather or time of day. If you’re not into ice cream, check out the dessert section. The cookies are my personal favorite.

Whether you hate it or love it, Monty’s will likely be a memorable part of your St. John’s experience!

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.