The Lalagirl With Beanie Holding Book Up
Her Campus Media

How to Make a Class with a Terrible Professor Work for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s no doubt that before the semester begins, every student quickly checks ratemyprofessor to view the ratings on all the professors for the course they need.  The reviews stated by previous students who had the professor can either be great or absolutely terrible.. Depending on the rating, students pick the more efficient teacher. The one that gives extra credits, less homework, zero test, etc.. 

However, is that accurate enough? Can you really base a teacher off by mere reviews?   

Could you blindly just choose a professor and accidentally get a bad one? It’s entirely possible and you’re doomed. 

But look on the bright side, HC is here to save the day. Here are three quick tips. 

1. Email them

Once you realize you’re in a heap of trouble, it’s best to email your teacher as soon as possible to discuss study strategies or even to ask for some help to relearn the new topics in an easier way. If they refuse for whatever reason than maybe look for outside help.

2. Go to tutoring

Tutoring can be very helpful. One-on-one with a student or teacher who is proficient in the course can provide helpful methods that they found worked easier for them and it could work for you too. Inside the University Freshmen Center, there is a section precisely opened for all students to receive tutoring for various subjects. A good tip is booking an appointment with the tutoring center at the UFC ahead of time so that you can choose your tutor, but walk-ins are available too.     

3. Try looking up videos on YouTube

What always helps me is looking on YouTube for people who have taught the course or know it very well like Khan Academy. Sal, who is generally the person who speaks the majority of the time, does an awesome job at teaching it.   

4. Study with friends. 

This has happened many times to me and others. Don’t be afraid to ask for help even from your friends or classmates! They are more likely to understand the material and will be able to teach you. In general, It’s also considered to be one of the most effective ways of studying. 

I find it best to try learning from a textbook, in areas like Math or Science and if you still don’t understand, wait after or go before class to speak with the teacher. The teacher could make it easier for you to understand it by going over it slowly with you again. 

And if all else fails….

5. Go to your departments advisor

Talk with your departments advisor for other solutions such as taking a different class with a different teacher or reopening a class (if possible).  

Hope this helps!

Devashri Narayan

St. John's '23

A woman who wants her voice heard and changes to happen.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.