jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Avoid Stress For Packing And Moving Out For Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year and it’s time to pack and say a short or long goodbye to your college home. Here is how you can make it less of a dreadful task and go through it with minimal amount of pain.

1) Start Early

It’s the basic rule, but it is the most useful one as well. From an expert of packing and moving around, this is the key to success. 30 or 20 minutes everyday, and you’ll be golden to it.

2)   Plan It Out

Just stay away from the “should I or should I not” game. It is usually baseless and the sooner you know what you’re going to need, the better your life will be. So chuck away the “I’ll do it later” attitude.

3)   Use A Friend

Anything is less painful when there is someone helping you out. You could always use a helping hand.

4)   Keep Your Favorite Items In Stow

You don’t want to forget your favorite things. So make sure you have that checked off your list first.

5)   Check with your RA or Landlord to avoid any issues.

Not really a great feeling to know that you’ve been penalized for leaving the place in a rather unappreciated way. So it’s always a good thing to tell your RA or landlord to check out the place and let you know if there is anything wrong with it.

6)   Your Electronics!

Your Keurig, Microwave, Fridge, Hairdryer or anything that is electronic should be kept away. This isn’t to save electricity, but just incase there is a pipe burst or any other problem; you would better keep the expensive gear away.

7)   *Coughs*

Just so you know, your fridges will probably be checked so just don’t keep anything that shouldn’t be in there. I mean dairy products (winks).

8)   Clean Up-To-Down

Imagine coming back to an overly filthy room, would you? Clean up!

9)   Use Your Head

Don’t forget to throw out any of the papers from the semester. It’ll just be extra work when you come back. Not. Fun.

10)  Pre-game!

Prepare for the day when you come back. Keep the snowjacket and winter gear out just incase its snowing when you’re back. Keep the thermostat the way its been told to. Make the bed the way you should. Being forewarned is being forearmed.

Abhi Joshi

St. John's

My name is Abhi. I am a Journalism major with a minor in Film & TV Production at St. John's University. I am originally from Mumbai, India, but New York City is officially my new home!
Contributor Account