Culture > News

Honduras Hardened Its Abortion Ban

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Honduras has made an immense decision that is detrimental to women’s health as well as women’s rights. Honduras is one of the few countries with a complete abortion ban. There has been debate about removing the ban in the past however, recently there has been a complete setback regarding the abortion ban and women’s rights. Lawmakers have now hardened the ban making it extremely difficult to legalize and have access to abortions. The new reform will prohibit changes in this decision in the future.  Women in Honduras have had to watch their rights being taken away knowing it will never get better and change in the future. This has caused an uproar and lots of controversy in the country. People have different viewpoints on the situation.

However, research proves that this ban is going to be extremely dangerous for women. Honduras has one of the highest rates of sexual violence which results in many unwanted pregnancies. This ban makes it impossible for women to safely terminate pregnancies. Many women won’t have access to proper resources which will result in women practicing abortion in dangerous conditions. This will cause extreme health complications and even death. Not to mention if they get caught, they can be completely shunned from society and put in prison.

This ban proves how important it is for everyone to support women’s rights and take a stand against these injustices. Honduras is silencing women and taking away rights to their bodies. This isn’t a political or religious matter; it’s about encouraging equality and protecting humanity.

I am a Global Development and Sustainability major at St. John's University. I enjoy traveling, journaling, and exploring the city with friends.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.