This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

When I met my roommate, she did not hesitate to admit her adoration for the Halloween season. Since we met,  I’ve grown fonder of the holiday, all because of her decorations from home and the Halloween plans we put onto paper. Sure we didn’t follow through with our Halloween film calendar, but what we did follow through with was an ultimate Halloween playlist. It includes the classics like “Monster Mash,” “Mr. Sandman,” and John Carpenter’s Halloween Theme Song, but I contributed the ultimate collection of Halloween vibes: Dead Man’s Bones’ self-titled album.

Along with the not knowing of the album’s existence, bet you especially did not know Ryan Gosling was in a band. Ryan Gosling was 1 of 2 in Dead Man’s Bones. He and his friend Zach Shields had a fascinating love for the supernatural and collaborated on the making of their self titled Halloween album Dead Man’s Bones which features the Silverlake Conservatory of Music Children’s Choir. While the children’s choir contributes to the element of horror, it sparks an indescribable feeling of nostalgia. Dead Man’s Bones is an indie classic that doesn’t get the streams it deserves. I’m sure there’s a spike in streams around October because of the vibes it exudes, but that doesn’t mean this album should only be listened to during the Halloween season. I find myself listening to their songs all year round because they’re just that good. The tracklist is filled with love songs, creepy narratives, and those songs that will always make you feel young, all while including elements of horror. In order to get you started, I’ll list out my favorite songs and why I love them so much.

Track Three: In the Room Where You Sleep

Included in The Conjuring soundtrack, “In the Room Where You Sleep” is an upbeat song with disturbing lyrics about seeing a supernatural being “in the room where you sleep.” The catchy beat distracts listeners from the narrative, which captures the beauty in which Gosling and Shields are able to carry throughout the album.

Track Five: My Body’s a Zombie for You

One of two of the sweetest yet haunting love songs I’ve heard. It embodies the phrase “I’ll love you ‘till the day I die,” except this love goes beyond the grave. The children’s choir becomes the essence of young love like they are the second voice to the part of you that has fallen in love. 

Track Six: Pa Pa Power

The first track I heard by DMB back in 2015 was shown to me by my brother. “Pa Pa Power” is one of the most obviously depressing songs as the backtrack matches the repeated lyrics sung by Shields then followed by another set of repeated lyrics sung by the children’s choir: “We won’t destroy you. No, we will not destroy you.” 

Track Seven: Young & Tragic

One of “those songs that will always make you feel young.” While literally epitomizing adolescence with always wishing for something greater, “Young & Tragic” is that track you either listen to while driving down the highway with some of your favorite people or laying down on the floor, looking up at the ceiling and reminiscing in your head.

Track Twelve: Flowers Grow out of My Grave

The other one of the two sweetest yet haunting love songs I’ve heard. It carries on the love that goes on beyond the grave while setting the scene at a grave. “When I think about you, flowers grow out of my grave,” illustrates love in its purest form and should be at the top of the list of songs you dedicate to the one you love. 

Give Dead Man’s Bones a listen to become a true Ryan Gosling stan and enjoy a new Halloween essential.

Abigail is President of the St. John's Chapter. She is a Communication Arts Major from Pico Rivera, California. She loves her family, writing about pop culture, screaming Taylor Swift songs, and dancing at concerts.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.