This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I find winter to be the “most wonderful time of year”, pun intended. For me, December through March is filled with family fun, new beginnings, and my personal favorite, snow days. All of which make winter one of the seasons I feel the happiest in. You may find yourself wondering what to do to avoid boredom on days when school/work are canceled, as I often do. It’s likely we haven’t seen the last of the snow for the year, so I’ve highlighted a few things I do on a snow day to have fun. 

Consider Inviting friends over.

I used to love inviting my friends over before a snow storm because I knew we’d be snowed in together for the next day or two. Many of the things listed below would be 3x as fun if you have someone there with you. If you know in advance that you’ll be stuck at home, call someone over to be stuck with you.

Play in the snow

As cliche as it may sound, I have the most fun outside on a snow day making snowmen. Build a snowman; there is no better feeling than coming back inside, getting cozy, and making hot chocolate or a warm meal. This leads me to my next point. 

Try something new/ Catch up on a hobby you love 

On days like these, I find it fun to catch up on a hobby I haven’t had time for. Additionally, it is the perfect time to learn/try something new. Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes, and because of school, I haven’t had as much free time to do it. If you are hesitant about cooking, a snow day is the perfect time to teach yourself. Like me, you may discover a passion/hidden talent you hadn’t considered. 

Practice self care  

I find snow days to be extremely relaxing. This is largely because all of my normal tasks are put on hold for about 24 hours. Because of this, I occasionally use it as a day for self care. Taking advantage of a day like this to tend to my skincare, catch up on a book I’ve been meaning to read, take that nap I deserve, etc., has always been rewarding and fun for me. Use the day to do anything you can’t normally do. For example, I could watch movies for hours, and often spend hours at a time watching a T.V. series. Snow days are days to practice some self care.

All in all, my advice is to use this free day to do whatever makes you happiest; that’s how I classify fun. So, enjoy the rest of the snow days we may have this season. Try that recipe you’ve been meaning to try, catch up with friends, and read that book etc., before the warm months come back!

Alysha Richards

St. John's '23

19| NY| Hello! My name is Alysha Richards and I am a junior at St. John's University in Queens. I am currently working towards a degree in Legal Studies, and a minor in Journalism. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. Lover of all things Disney & Marvel.