This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

On the night of January tenth David [Jones] Bowie passed away after an 18 month battle with cancer. The type of cancer has not been released or confirmed, but rumors are that he suffered from liver cancer. This tragic event has occurred just days after the release of his new album, Blackstar and his birthday.

I was present at a concert when the information was sent out from major new networks. The band did a tribute to everyone’s great loss. You could feel the unity that he has spread throughout multiple generations through his music. Fans gathered together to mourn his passing outside his apartment along with celebrities who are posting about how the loss has affected them and his official Facebook page that released the information also left comforting sentiment that he was surrounded by family members and friends.

David Bowie is more than just an artist he is a style icon, actor, performer, record producer, father, and influencer for all of those who are eclectic and out of the social norm. He paved the road to individuality with his attire and ways of living life he shone literally and metaphorically. Through his music he was able to connect with his audience and allow all of us to feel what he wanted to get across. His acting roles hold special places in our childhoods, adult lives, and well into our futures.

David Bowie is an iconic person who will not be forgotten. His presence and talent has allowed all of us to see a part of the world that we all wanted to see. He will forever make us all feel infinite. Thank you David for allowing us all to see magic.  

Carissa is majoring in Mass Communications and has an idea to pursue a double major in Environmental Studies and a minor in Business all while advocating for animal rights and sustainable living!
Contributor Account