Life > Experiences

Exploring the Spring Splendor of New York City: Free Events for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

New York City is not only a hub of culture and diversity but also a trove of free events that cater to students. As spring breathes new life into the city, numerous opportunities arise for students to explore without breaking the bank. Whether you’re into arts, music, food or simply soaking up the vibrant atmosphere, NYC has something for everyone. Here’s a curated list of free events perfect for students looking to make the most of springtime in the Big Apple:

1. Central Park Events

Central Park transforms into a lively hub during spring offering various free events perfect for students. From outdoor concerts and movie screenings to fitness classes and nature walks, there’s always something happening. Check out the official Central Park website or local event listings for the latest schedule.

2. Museum Mile Festival

Every June, several museums along Fifth Avenue open their doors to the public for free during the Museum Mile Festival. Stretching from 82nd Street to 105th Street, students can explore world-class museums like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Guggenheim, the Museum of the City of New York and many more without spending a dime. The festival includes street musicians, art-centric activities for children, food vendors and additional entertainment.

3. High Line Park

The High Line, an elevated park built on a historic freight rail line, offers breathtaking views of the city skyline and Hudson River. Rescued from potential demolition through the efforts of residents and the City of New York, the High Line debuted in 2009 as a unique public space blending elements of nature, art and design, providing visitors with an immersive experience. Students can enjoy a stroll along the landscaped pathways, discover public art installations and relax on the park’s numerous seating areas.

4. Governors Island

Governors Island, spanning 172 acres in the heart of New York Harbor, is conveniently located just minutes away from Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn waterfront via ferry. With expansive green spaces, historic architecture, art installations and breathtaking views of the Statue of Liberty, Governors Island offers endless opportunities for adventure and relaxation. 

5. Astoria’s Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden

Students can enjoy free entry to the oldest beer garden in New York City, Astoria’s Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden. With its outdoor seating and community feel, it’s the perfect spot for students to socialize, relax and enjoy the spring weather in Queens. Furthermore, you’ll get to soak up the unique ambiance while savoring traditional Czech beer and delicious food.

With so many free events and activities to choose from, students can make the most of their time in New York City without breaking the bank. Whether you’re a local resident or a visiting student, springtime in NYC promises many opportunities for exploration, learning and fun. So grab your MetroCard, put on your walking shoes and get ready to experience the magic of the city that never sleeps!

Kiara Mapp

St. John's '25

Kiara Mapp, a native of Queens, New York, is a dynamic 22-year-old with a passion for literature and writing. With a relentless pursuit of academic excellence and a fervent love for the written word, Kiara continues her studies as a Master of Arts student at St. John's University, majoring in English. As she withholds a distinctive voice and a knack for storytelling, Kiara offers a fresh perspective on issues relevant to the university experience, capturing the attention and admiration of her peers.