The Existence of the Sophomore Slump and How to Overcome It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The “sophomore slump,” also known as “sophomore-itis,” is a phenomenon that combines the high stress of freshman year with the laziness of senior year. It’s a weird limbo where you know what has to be done and you’re positive you will do it but it’s a matter of when and how you will bring yourself out of the coziness of your bed to actually do it.

Those of us who are just entering into the second semester of sophomore year will understand what I mean by this. Especially here in the northeast, it’s hard to get up and be motivated in the dullness of winter, coupled with the realization that it will probably stay this cold until at least early April. Who wants to get up, get ready and walk, or worse, commute to class when there’s snow on the ground? Not to mention the scientifically-based notion that people are more likely to become depressed in the winter, which does not help our case. So how do we find the motivation to finish our work, get involved and stay in good spirits? It’s all about perspective.

For those of us who are on the four-year track, congratulations! After this semester ends, to quote the great Bon Jovi, we’re halfway there! Besides the fact that we are also living on a prayer, it’s a great accomplishment to look back and realize all the work you have completed. No matter what track you are on, actually, it’s great to realize that you got two years of college out of the way and are on the right track to completing your goals.

And what if you haven’t done as well as you had hoped? There’s still a chance to turn your fortune in your favor. Thankfully for many undergrads, there are resources on campus such as the career center, the counseling center and undergraduate student advisement at their respective colleges (SJC, CPS, Tobin, etc.). Here at St. John’s, sophomores especially are encouraged to visit the Dean’s offices for help in this area.

For extracurricular involvement, the easiest way to stay on track with your goals is to try and divide your free time between organizations as equally as possible. If you’re feeling overwhelmed between extracurricular activities and academics, you can always step back and prioritize what is best for your mental health and well-being (because academics should always come first!).

As important it is to stay active on campus, sometimes a trip off campus is exactly what you need to clear your head. Whether it’s a trip to Target or an evening out with friends, squeezing in some free time when you get it (say, on the weekend) is essential in keeping balance in your life. For us New Yorkers, it may be a pain to take a subway trip and brace the cold, but there are plenty of fun things to do on a day trip. Some museums are free, donation-based or offer student discounts depending on the day. A little bit of research can go a long way!

A new semester may be filled with new classes, new worries and new ways to try and find a way to manage time. However, it can also be a great opportunity to set new goals and get back on your feet. 

With that, I leave you with a gif of Jon Bon Jovi doing the impossible, because so can you!

Brenna is a sophomore at St. John's University studying journalism and sport management. She crossed the Hudson to pursue her dream of being a sports journalist and whatever else the universe leads her to be.
Contributor Account