Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s no secret that domestic violence is an issue that plagues our society more than we even realize. As college students, it’s a reality that most of us fail to think about until it happens to us, or to somebody that we love. When it comes to such an issue, though, there is no better time than now to become educated.

In an effort to educate men and women on the issue, Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM) has been observed around the United States since 1989. This month-long cause for awareness stems from the “Day of Unity” that was once held to connect those whose mission it is to end domestic violence, to mourn those who have been lost to it and to celebrate those who have overcome a violent relationship.

But when it comes to college students, dating violence actually affects us more than we often think. According to Break the Cycle, an organization dedicated to providing dating abuse programs for young people, 57% of college students who say they’ve experienced domestic violence have experienced it in a relationship during their time at school. Becoming educated on the signs of abuse and what to do if you or someone you love is in an abusive relationship should be a priority for all of us.

Break the Cycle reports that 58% of college students don’t know what to do to assist those in abusive relationships and 38% don’t know what resources are available to them if they are in an abusive relationship.

Here at St. John’s there are multiple resources on campus to provide students with assistance in the case of an abusive relationship. Besides the growing “It’s On Us” program that is dedicated to ending sexual assault (which can be constituted as a form of dating violence), SJU’s Office of Wellness provides students with a copy of our Bill of Rights and instructions for reporting domestic violence or sexual assault on its website. Outside of the university, the National Domestic Violence Hotline provides 24 hour phone and web services to aid victims. There are also numerous local and national organizations that promote the fight to end dating violence.

As most domestic violence cases go unreported, it is difficult to find concrete facts on the issue. Safe Horizon states that 1 in 4 women falls victim to domestic violence in her lifetime, however domestic violence isn’t just limited to females. The CDC found that nearly 40% of men are victims of domestic violence.

For most of us, college is synonymous with the “best times of our lives.” The first thing to come to our minds when we think about school is most likely not dating violence, but it is something that we should be more conscious of. As young people that will one day become leaders, we need to become educated and active in the fight to end this ongoing battle. To live in fear is no way to live and we have the power to change that.

Picture Source: abuseintervention.org

Contributor Account