This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

What happens when Crazy Rich Asians meets reality TV? You get the new Netflix originals reality show Bling Empire. Now that Keep Up with the Kardashians is ending, it feels like it’s an end of an era. Their extravagant lives were put on display for over 10 years and just when I thought reality TV couldn’t get any better at portraying the rich lives of Hollywood’s elite, Bling empire premiered! 

The show premiered on Netflix In January. Produced by Jeff Jenkins ( who also produced KUWK) Bling Empire came just after the announcement of the final season of Keeping up with the Kardashians. It follows the lives of 8 Asian American socialites in Los Angeles, CA. Ranging from heiresses to even a direct descent of the Song dynasty. Jetting from Vegas to Paris just for an exclusive personal shopping trip to closets full of designer shoes and clothes. But it also takes a deeper look into not only their lives and relationships but also their culture. Showing how they celebrate life and traditions through exuberant ceremonies and parties. The show makes what ordinary people call luxurious and privilege look like a walk in the park for the small community of mega-rich Asians in Beverly Hills.

Kevin Kreider and Kane Lim are bestie goals! Kreider who is new to LA and a model meets Lim, who is a generational millionaire coming from a family of oil, tanking, and real estate tycoons. He introduces Kreider into his crazy rich life along with other wealthy Asian people like Christine Chiu. Chiu is married to Dr. Gabriel Chiu a surgeon and 24th generation descendant of one of the most successful dynasties in China, so you know their rolling in the bank. In the first episode, Christine is getting interviewed by Town & Country magazine cause she was shutting down Rodeo Drive for her Chinese New Year event! Anna Shay is Russian and Japanese and is probably one of the richest among the cast members coming from a family of wealthy weapons makers. Unlike the other Asian socialites on the show, she doesn’t really flaunt her wealth, well at least not as much since she was using a sledgehammer to break the wall in her closet all while wearing a diamond necklace and a couture ball gown. The other cast members are just as rich and not afraid to show it. 

Even though the show is a display of their extravagant lives, it is not just about riches and glamour. They go through love, family issues, and drama but know they have each other to fall back on. Staying true to their roots they show how Asian culture isn’t just rich in value but in history and family. My favorite from the show would be Anna Shay since she is portrayed as the matriarch among the group. Her fun-loving personality plus the fact she is so giving ( she gifts Kevin a pair of Dior sneakers). Many of the cast members go to her in the show seeking her advice and a shoulder to cry on, they look to her for approval even if she doesn’t notice it. Bling Empire brings all the fun aspects of reality TV together but also incorporating the importance of Asian culture. If you like binging reality TV with some substance, like me, I suggest watching Bling Empire on Netflix.

Hi I’m Raquel! I’m a PR Major at St. John’s University and a lover of all things Fashion, Beauty & Reality Tv.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.