This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

A movement born from the tragic death of Trayvon Martin, Black Lives Matter has played a big role in shaping and influencing not only Black America but the entire nation. Their incredible work in fighting for the equality of black lives is truly amazing. In honor of the tremendous work that BLM does for black people, here are a few black films to watch pertaining to this organization.

1. “Do the Right Thing” – Spike Lee

Spike Lee joint, “Do the Right Thing,” displays the harsh reality of living in a lower-class neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY.  While facing the issues of police brutality, poverty, and racial identity. Though this film was made in ‘89, it is still relevant to our society today. As we still have lower-class areas facing the same issues currently. You can watch this film on Hulu, or catch it on Showtime during the week! 

2. “Fruitvale Station” – Ryan Coogl

This powerful film directed by Ryan Coogler follows the true story of Oscar Grant. A black man gunned down by police on New Year’s Eve back in 2009. He was only 22-years old at the time of his death. He left behind a daughter, Tatiana Grant, his mother Wanda Johnson, and girlfriend, Sophina Mesa. Fruitvale Station is available for streaming on Prime Video and Youtube for $3.99.

3. “Malcolm X” – Spike Lee

If it weren’t for this civil rights icon, there wouldn’t be a BLM movement. This Spike Lee joint digs into the life of activist, Malcolm Little, better known as Malcolm X. He was one of the most well-known leaders of the 1960s. Starting out as a gangster and hustler in Harlem, Malcolm changed his life around after converting to Islam while in prison. Eventually joining the Nation of Islam and becoming one of the most prominent leaders of the organization. You can stream “Malcolm X,” on Netflix. 

4. “When They See Us” – Ava DuV

This miniseries follows the true story of a group of five teenage boys, wrongly convicted of rape and other violent crimes against a white woman during a night in Central Park. They were later exonerated after a Latinx man who was incarcerated with one of the boys, confessed to the crime. They were acquitted of all the charges and received a settlement of $41 million. The group now advocates for BLM, for those who are incarcerated, as well as the wrongly convicted. You can stream, “When They See Us,” on Netflix.

Zara Lankford

St. John's '24

Atlanta ✈️ Tuscaloosa | 20 | Journalism Major | Stillman’24
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.