Best Coffee Shops to try in Lower Manhattan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s no secret that there’s an overabundance of coffee shops in NYC, especially in Lower Manhattan. However, with New York prices, people are being charged a left kidney to have more water in their Americano than necessary. Coming from a Lower Manhattan native and a caffeine junkie, here are my top five coffee shops in NYC that won’t hurt your wallet and are worth it!

Cha Cha Matcha: With four locations across the city, it is hard not to be sucked in by their pink decor and relaxing ambiance. They serve quality matcha and present different ways of incorporating it into their drinks. One of my personal favorites is their “Purple Drink.” It has lavender and ube flavoring with a matcha shot that tastes like cinnamon toast crunch. In the summer, they serve their seasonal drink, “Strawberry Matcha,” which is definitely a must-try!

Urban Backyard: This coffee shop is tucked away between Mulberry and Kenmare Street. They are famously known for their ornamental cupcakes that look like succulent plants. They have a very urban vibe with earthy tones. Urban Backyard serves amazing lattes with flavors like ube, Rose, and matcha. The iced coffees are also rich in flavor and aren’t watered down!

Sweet Moment: Located on Mott Street, this shop serves novelty lattes with foam art. They also have some of the friendliest workers. This coffee shop is a perfect workplace because of its relaxing ambiance. They also serve unique desserts such as “Black Sesame Red Bean Shaved Ice.”

Round K by Sol: This coffee shop is located in Chinatown and has an amazing vintage aesthetic in the dining area. All of their coffee is house-roasted and inspired by Korean coffee shops. Round K is known for having the “Blackest Coffee” in the world. The “Matte Black Latte” is made with 98% cocoa and coconut charcoal cream that will undoubtedly leave your mouth black. Feel free to try out their “Matte Black Latte” and the other lattes they serve!

Lê Phin: This list would not be complete if traditional Vietnamese Coffee were not included. Vietnamese Coffee is considered iconic and perfect for all coffee and caffeine lovers! Vietnamese coffee is known for its strong taste and is usually paired with condensed milk. This drink is not for the faint, and Lê Phin makes the best Vietnamese coffee.

Rosanna Jiang

St. John's '24

Hi everyone! My name is Rosanna, and I am a junior majoring in Legal Studies with minors in English and Forensic Psychology. I hope to attend law school after undergrad and practice estate, wills, and trust law. I love to travel, and one of my biggest goals is to visit Peru and the Galapagos Islands.