This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Learning a new language may seem like a scary task full of confusing grammar rules and strange translations. It may seem like something you left behind in high school. However, learning a new language can be a fun and fulfilling adventure, and less challenging than one may think. Here are some language-learning tips and a list of the best languages to study as a beginner!

1. Start with a Romance language

It is much easier to learn a language that is relatively similar to English – or at least one that uses a similar alphabet. A good starting point could be Spanish or Italian. 

1. Learn the most common phrases/words

Knowing the basics of a language is essential, especially considering that these words are part of daily speech. Ex: “and”, “like”, “hello”, “some”…

1. Use Duolingo

While there may be better apps out there, Duolingo is free and effective. It motivates you to study at least 5 minutes a day and learn the basics.

1. Listen to music in your target language 

Our brains can memorize song lyrics surprisingly fast. This applies to languages as well. Looking at the lyrics while listening to a catchy song in your target language will help expand your vocabulary.

1. Write journal entries

Journaling in your target language will help with expanding your vocabulary past basic conversation. Additionally, it will help you start using slang an words that apply more to your daily life. 

1. Change your phone language

If you use your phone 24/7, viewing words in a foreign language will help them stick in your head more. Changing the language of your social media accounts helps as well.

1. Watch movies translated into the language

Watching a translated movie that you are already familiar with, like a Disney classic, will help you become more accustomed to the language in terms of both literacy and comprehension skills. As a plus, if you know the plot by heart, it is easier to focus on the language itself. 

1. Be practical

If you don’t use the word “photosynthesis” in your daily English conversation, you do not need to learn it in your target language right away. Focus on what you need! 

1. Listen to podcasts

There are many podcasts that speak in a variety of languages at the perfect speed for new learners. “Coffee Break Languages” has many great seasons focusing on various languages, accompanied by interesting hosts and educational topics. 

Best Languages to Start With

• Spanish is obviously one of the most useful languages to learn, especially if you live in the U.S. It is very easy to find resources online and people to help you practice. 
  • Italian also has many resources available and is a good language to either start with or perhaps pick up if you are already familiar with Spanish. They are very similar to each other. 
  • French is a bit more complicated but is a building block of many other languages. It is also spoken all over the globe. 
  • Norwegian grammar is surprisingly straightforward, considering that it shares vocabulary with English and has the same sentence arrangement as English. 
  • Indonesian uses the Latin alphabet, making it the easiest Asian language for an English speaker to learn. 
  • Swahili words sound just like they are spelled, and the pronunciation is easy for English speakers to pick up on. 
Grace Notarstefano

St. John's '26

Grace is currently a freshman at St. John’s University in Queens NY. She is double majoring in History and Italian, with hopes to someday become a professor and enter the world of research. She can be found painting and sculpting, reading, trying new recipes, or writing up a post for her blog on the literature of the world.