love is blind cast reunion
love is blind cast reunion
Netflix

Authentic Quest for Love or Gateway to Fame?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

In an era dominated by reality television, dating shows have become a staple in entertainment, offering audiences a glimpse into the complexities of modern romance. 

From “The Bachelor” to “Love Island,” these shows promise a thrilling mix of love, drama and sometimes, even a dash of controversy. However, amidst the glittering facade of romance, questions linger: Are these displays of affection authentic expressions of love, or are they merely stepping stones for contestants seeking their 15 minutes of fame?

Dating shows like Love Island and The Bachelor offer a platform for individuals to find love or at least the chance at it while captivating audiences worldwide with a blend of romance and drama.

Participants are often portrayed as ordinary people searching for meaningful connections in an unconventional setting, but the allure of fame and fortune casts a shadow over the authenticity of these portrayals.

For some contestants, the desire for stardom overshadows genuine intentions, leading to performances rather than sincere expressions of affection. Like the couple in “Love Island,” Toby Aromolaran and Georgia Steel, who had numerous hiccups in the villa, ended up making it all the way to the finale and weeks later, the pair split.

The competitive nature of dating shows further blurs the line between sincere emotions and strategic gameplay. Contestants may resort to manipulation or deceit to stay in the game, prioritizing screen time over building true connections. The pressure to capture the audience’s attention and win favor from the show’s producers can lead to exaggerated behaviors and scripted interactions, distorting the reality of the dating experience.

Peter Weber from “The Bachelor” gained attention for his indecisiveness and tumultuous relationships with contestants. One of the most notable moments was his decision to end his engagement with one of the finalists, Hannah Ann Sluss and pursue a relationship with the runner-up, Madison Prewett after the show’s conclusion, whose relationship was also short-lived.

This pivotal moment was characterized by its dramatic impact and stands out as one of the most memorable interactions between a rejected contestant and the Bachelor, ultimately leading to Weber being labeled as the “villain” of his season.

Moreover, the editing process plays a significant role in shaping the narrative of these shows. 

Scenes are carefully crafted to evoke specific emotions and generate drama, often at the expense of authenticity. Contestants are portrayed as characters in a storyline with their personalities exaggerated or misrepresented to fit the producers’ vision of entertaining television.

While the editing depicts The Bachelor as a fairy-tale illusion of competitive reality television, editing fuels controversy and tension amongst the Love Island crew. This manipulation of reality blurs the distinction between genuine emotions and orchestrated drama, leaving viewers questioning the sincerity of the relationships presented on screen.

Despite these concerns, it would be unfair to dismiss all dating shows as mere vehicles for fame. 

For some participants, these shows serve as opportunities to find true love and meaningful connections. While the environment may be unconventional, the emotions experienced by contestants are undoubtedly real. 

Many couples formed on dating shows have gone on to build lasting relationships and even start families, proving that love can blossom in unexpected places.

Though modern dating shows offer a captivating blend of romance and drama, their authenticity remains a topic for debate. As viewers, we must approach shows such as “The Bachelor” and “Love Island” with a critical eye, recognizing the fine line between heartfelt romance and manufactured drama. 

While the entertainment value of dating shows is undeniable, we must not lose sight of the real emotions and experiences of the participants involved. Only then can we truly appreciate the highs and lows of the modern dating experience portrayed on our screens.

Kiara Mapp

St. John's '25

Kiara Mapp, a native of Queens, New York, is a dynamic 22-year-old with a passion for literature and writing. With a relentless pursuit of academic excellence and a fervent love for the written word, Kiara continues her studies as a Master of Arts student at St. John's University, majoring in English. As she withholds a distinctive voice and a knack for storytelling, Kiara offers a fresh perspective on issues relevant to the university experience, capturing the attention and admiration of her peers.